Okay, I’m Getting Tired of Dripping Kalk

griss

RC Mod
Staff member
RC Mod
I’ve been adding 1/2 gallon weak Kalk twice a day to a Zoo Med Little Dripper. The nozzle on the Dripper clogs a lot and I’m tired of mixing up kalk each day.

Looking for a CHEAP and EASY way to add kalk. What are you guys doing? I do have an Apex if there’s an easy way to automate.

ETA: even dosing 1 gallon a day, the solution is weak enough that my Alk is hovering around 10.

I was going to say a doser, but I’ve never used kalk in a doser so I don’t know if you’re going to have the clogging issues. I’ve heard Kamoer are pretty decent and lower cost for the basic version.

Otherwise there’s kalk in the ATO or would a bigger gate valve (or ball valve or whatever it is lol) work?

I use a stirrer and push RODI water into it with a simple dosing pump on Hydros controlled by pH. It isnt hands free though.
I still have to oversee it every few days at least. I add 2 cups of Kalk powder to it once a month.
Someone told me to add a small piece of silicone tubing to the end and it would clog a lot less.
I need to do that.

You could always go back to the oldschool kalk in your ATO setup.
Never did it that way. I always dripped it from a bottle of milk jug, the really old school way.

ETA, I might pick up a Doser in the near future. Been eyeing up the Jebao’s at Sean’s suggestion a while back.

So, what’s the best way to add it to ATO? I am currently topping off using a 20 gallon Brute attached to a float valve in my sump. Yep, old school😂

Yes…but I don’t use a float valve. I have a small 1/4” tube run inside of a larger 5/8” tubing. The larger tubing has an air tight seal on the water jug, and the other end of the larger tubing is set at the desired height of water in the sump.
The smaller tubing is much longer, running from the bottom of the water jug to a couple of feet beyond the length of the larger tubing. That way, I can add my CaOH to the jug, then fill it up with RO water through the smaller tubing.

Yes…but I don’t use a float valve. I have a small 1/4” tube run inside of a larger 5/8” tubing. The larger tubing has an air tight seal on the water jug, and the other end of the larger tubing is set at the desired height of water in the sump.
The smaller tubing is much longer, running from the bottom of the water jug to a couple of feet beyond the length of the larger tubing. That way, I can add my CaOH to the jug, then fill it up with RO water through the smaller tubing.
Having a really hard time picturing this. I’m a very visual person. Do you have pics you could post?

What's the biggest container you have room for? That plus a peristaltic pump on a timer works good and easy.

If no room for a larger container to make it easier on you for mixing all the time then the add to the ATO option is good. I would just make sure there's fail-safes there.

I had a separate tote from my ATO dosing for one second every minute. I had a spectrapure standalone peristaltic pump that runs fast. That worked great for many years. Timing just needs to be adjusted to not exceed evaporation rate.

Now I don't have room for that big of a tote. I'm still considering options but for now I'm combining kalk to my ATO. Currently there's a basic pump in there but the kalk may reduce its life expectancy. If it fails I'll put the spectra pure on there.

For fail-safes and making sure the additions are evened out I have multiple float switches, an air pressure switch, and float valve to shutdown the ATO if the water rises to much.

2 switches in series one higher then the other. Then the ATO goes through a float valve. Then the air pressure switch slightly higher then the float valve. Then finally a very high this is way to much and everything failed switch. I drip vinegar right on top of the float valve that seems to keep it from caking up.

IMG_20231223_113223312.jpg

Then I also have a timer that does not allow the pump to run for more then 5s every 10 minutes. This spreads out the dosing through out the day pretty well.

Screenshot_20231223-113826.png

Rodi, new saltwater, and the blue slimjim ATO/kalk
IMG_20231223_113952455.jpg

Edit to add my Apex program if that helps at all

Virtual ATO outlet
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If SwATO1 CLOSED Then ON (main return section serial switches)
If SwATO1 OPEN Then OFF
If SwATO2 OPEN Then OFF (air pressure switch)
If SwSMPH OPEN Then OFF (the top holy crap switch)
If Output Return_2_1 = OFF Then OFF
Defer 000:30 Then ON

Physical outlet turning pump on and off
Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/000:10/010:00 Then ON
If Output vATO_On_A2 = OFF Then OFF
If SwATO2 OPEN Then OFF
If Output vSumpHigh_A4 = ON Then OFF
If Output vATOEmpty_A3 = ON Then OFF

Last edited:
Oh, and to add. When I dosed kalk from it's own tote I had put a T fitting for the 1/4" tubing I used for all dosing. So I had kalk and vinegar meet together at the T fitting just before going to the tank. Both were using peristaltic pumps that wouldn't let the other push down the wrong way. Least resistance was the open 1/4" tubing off the T to the tank. That really kept that tubing clean.

Having a really hard time picturing this. I’m a very visual person. Do you have pics you could post?
I’ll send a picture later today…basically it’s just a tube within a tube. Filling it up using the small tube creates a back siphon vacuum. Once the sump water level drops below the level of the larger tubing, ATO/Kalk water drains from the smaller 1/4” tubing until the larger tubing is submerged again…I don’t trust float valves or any other automation when it comes to water.

What's the biggest container you have room for? That plus a peristaltic pump on a timer works good and easy.

If no room for a larger container to make it easier on you for mixing all the time then the add to the ATO option is good. I would just make sure there's fail-safes there.

I had a separate tote from my ATO dosing for one second every minute. I had a spectrapure standalone peristaltic pump that runs fast. That worked great for many years. Timing just needs to be adjusted to not exceed evaporation rate.

Now I don't have room for that big of a tote. I'm still considering options but for now I'm combining kalk to my ATO. Currently there's a basic pump in there but the kalk may reduce its life expectancy. If it fails I'll put the spectra pure on there.

For fail-safes and making sure the additions are evened out I have multiple float switches, an air pressure switch, and float valve to shutdown the ATO if the water rises to much.

2 switches in series one higher then the other. Then the ATO goes through a float valve. Then the air pressure switch slightly higher then the float valve. Then finally a very high this is way to much and everything failed switch. I drip vinegar right on top of the float valve that seems to keep it from caking up.

View attachment 32394315

Then I also have a timer that does not allow the pump to run for more then 5s every 10 minutes. This spreads out the dosing through out the day pretty well.

View attachment 32394316

Rodi, new saltwater, and the blue slimjim ATO/kalk
View attachment 32394317

Edit to add my Apex program if that helps at all

Virtual ATO outlet
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If SwATO1 CLOSED Then ON (main return section serial switches)
If SwATO1 OPEN Then OFF
If SwATO2 OPEN Then OFF (air pressure switch)
If SwSMPH OPEN Then OFF (the top holy crap switch)

Physical outlet turning pump on and off
Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/000:10/010:00 Then ON
If Output vATO_On_A2 = OFF Then OFF
If SwATO2 OPEN Then OFF
If Output vSumpHigh_A4 = ON Then OFF
If Output vATOEmpty_A3 = ON Then OFF

I currently am using a 20 gallon Brute trashcan connected to a float valve in my sump for ATO. It’s worked flawlessly for going on 7 years.

So, do I just add 20 tsp kalk, mix it up and let it topoff? Doesn’t the kalk container need to be airtight to keep the solution from precipitating? Or was that a myth from back in the day? Haven’t dropped kalk in a long time so I’m a bit behind the times on this.

I do have a JBJ ATO kit that I’ve never opened for the upgrade that should have happened 4-5 years ago😂.

When filling my ATO I'll get to about 3/4 full. Then add the kalk (2tsp / gallon for fully saturated kalk). Then finish filling it up which mixes the lime powder in. If I could get in with my old PVC pipe I'd just fill the container all the way, then add kalk, then stir with pipe for 30 seconds. I was putting about 3/4 cup into about 22g SlimJim but recently reduced to 1/2 cup as my alk and Ca are plenty high. Will adjust as needed.

Don't need to stir a lot and don't want to mix air in to much. Air tight lid not necessary. Just a good fitting lid is fine. The top of the water will form a crust if left undisturbed and will protect it from the air as well.

Oh, wait, using the 20 Brute for kalk ATO won’t work. I use that water of water changes too. Hmmm, might need to set up a 5 gallon bucket for the ATO.

I have one of these at the bottom of the SlimJim to shutdown the ATO and alert me when it's empty

Make sure it has a gasket.

That's the line in the above programming that says If Output vATOEmpty_A3 = ON Then OFF switch

Virtual outlet watching the switch
Set OFF
If SwATOE CLOSED Then OFF
If SwATOE OPEN Then ON

And in my email alarm
If Output vATOEmpty_A3 = ON Then ON

Back