Halides w/o chiller?

minus9

Who's running Halides (single) without a chiller here in socal? Anyone in the valley? Thinking about using a single halide combined with a couple Kessil's over my tank, but I don't want to use a chiller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in home? ac on? usually can get by with just fans over the tank

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I use the exact set up and you won't be disappointed. I'm running a chiller though but no AC in the house.

I'm running 6 MH bulbs with T5 and LED. my tank has 2 side fans blowing the top toward a ceiling vent fan. this lower the temp by 2-4 degrees. Most of the year the tank run in the mid 70s.. never under 72. Super hot days like this week, I turn on the house AC to 72ish.. tank temp at around 76-78. I have seen the tank go up to about 82-83 degrees without fan or AC. no issue though

I'm in the SFV and water temps got into the low 90s last summer for me w/o any lights on (no A/C running). Running fans for evaporative cooler got water temp down to mid to high 80s. Got scary but everything survived for the most part (lost some freshwater shrimp). Most of my corals have been in my tanks for a while so they go through hot summers every year.

My initial thought on setting up my 90g was running all led, for heat and more efficient on electricity, but I'm really finding it hard to justify that argument now. I'm running six 360x's with three Orphek OR2 blue plus bars. This is over a 36x36x16 sps tank. That's over 600w of electricity, not that efficient if you ask me. I also don't like most halide fixture, too bulky or just plain ugly. This is a shallow rimless tank with a semi floating canopy. The reefbrite fixture seems nice and I can hang it from 8020 and shouldn't look ugly?
Or I can buy two 500x's and 3' OR3 bars for fill and hang them about 20" high?
56de6d403dc3c214aa520849e857e5c8.jpg

All I know is I have too many power bricks that get super hot and I would like to reduce them if possible? Also thought about Atlantik v4 in the middle with 4 360x's in the corners with 55 degree lenses? Or halide middle and 360x's in the corners? I hate being bored.

I have AC and I usually close up when it gets to about 83 or 84 outside. House temp is set to 76 usually, but triple digits we may have to set it down a degree.

I run a mix of MH/LED. Have a black Honeywell fan blowing down into the sump. Apex turns it on at 78.5 and off at 78.

Home temp floats up to about 75.

I get a 2-3 degree pull down from this with a peak around 79.

If running a fan for evap cooling I'd reccomend setting it to turn on well before the tank is too warm unless it's moving a lot of air straight into the water.. I get a very gradual effect from mine

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

My noctua fans come on at different temps and keep the tank at 78 or just below. I have two 12v and one 24v fans, which move a good amount of air. If I had more ventilation in my canopy it would probably be cooler.

I’ve been running halides with on chiller for years, 3 X 400 last year, I’m running 3X25o right now because we killed everything in January and the tank is just now settling down.

The Geismann halide fixtures look better and sleeker than any LED or T5 fixture made by any one, bar none!

I'm running 6 MH bulbs with T5 and LED. my tank has 2 side fans blowing the top toward a ceiling vent fan. this lower the temp by 2-4 degrees. Most of the year the tank run in the mid 70s.. never under 72. Super hot days like this week, I turn on the house AC to 72ish.. tank temp at around 76-78. I have seen the tank go up to about 82-83 degrees without fan or AC. no issue though

What type of pendants/reflectors do you use m0nkie? You have a pretty large/wide tank dont you?

My initial thought on setting up my 90g was running all led, for heat and more efficient on electricity, but I'm really finding it hard to justify that argument now. I'm running six 360x's with three Orphek OR2 blue plus bars. This is over a 36x36x16 sps tank. That's over 600w of electricity, not that efficient if you ask me. I also don't like most halide fixture, too bulky or just plain ugly. This is a shallow rimless tank with a semi floating canopy. The reefbrite fixture seems nice and I can hang it from 8020 and shouldn't look ugly?
Or I can buy two 500x's and 3' OR3 bars for fill and hang them about 20" high?
56de6d403dc3c214aa520849e857e5c8.jpg

All I know is I have too many power bricks that get super hot and I would like to reduce them if possible? Also thought about Atlantik v4 in the middle with 4 360x's in the corners with 55 degree lenses? Or halide middle and 360x's in the corners? I hate being bored.

What reflector are you planning to try on the 36x36?

What reflector are you planning to try on the 36x36?

The only one that looks good and may address my heat issues is the Reef Brite. I'll probably go with the one without the led strips. I'll use some Kessil's in the corners or the Orphek bars? Probably the Kessil's with 55 lenses so I can mount everything higher.

The only one that looks good and may address my heat issues is the Reef Brite. I'll probably go with the one without the led strips. I'll use some Kessil's in the corners or the Orphek bars? Probably the Kessil's with 55 lenses so I can mount everything higher.

Cool looking fixtures for sure. I've heard they run near cool to the touch also.

I feel like I've seen one for sale without the RB strips. Shoot me a text if you decide you're gonna go that route

Cool looking fixtures for sure. I've heard they run near cool to the touch also.

I feel like I've seen one for sale without the RB strips. Shoot me a text if you decide you're gonna go that route

Thanks! Will do.

i use giesemann spectra. hoarded several of those before they were gone

10x3 tank

Nice! I can do halide/led, but I'm done with T5's. That would be too much heat. Unless those fixtures run cool (for halide/T5)?
I think Anthony (ycnibrc) was going back to halide/w Kessil's? Of course, he can hide those fixtures on the other side, I can't.
If the Geisemann had led strips, I would be onboard, maybe?

Back