Hanna Alk Checker

Here are my findings with my particular hanna alk checker.Same sample checked three times with the hanna came up 7.5 dkh consistently.Same sample tested with a new salifert alk (exp 5-2015 )kit comes up at 8.3dkh,8.6dkh,and 8.0dkh with me trying very hard to decipher the color change equally.This kit was checked with the calibration fluid and was very close to the 7.3 listed on the bottle.This would point to the Hanna reading lower in this case but it may not hold true with a hach or other high end test kit.

So your test say the Hanna reads lower than the Salifert. Or Not? which is the correct reading? My Hanna Checker reads consistently on a same sample also which is good, I would like to know, how close to a correct reading it is putting out or do we need to use some type of a multiplier to add or subtract from the meters reading? You can't beat the ease in using it!

So your test say the Hanna reads lower than the Salifert. Or Not? which is the correct reading? My Hanna Checker reads consistently on a same sample also which is good, I would like to know, how close to a correct reading it is putting out or do we need to use some type of a multiplier to add or subtract from the meters reading? You can't beat the ease in using it!

My tests show that the hanna reads lower then a new salifert alk kit.I tried this on two separate alk kits and both tested and showed a higher dkh value of approx .8 dkh compared to MY hanna checker.Again,keeping the alk in your tank in the middle of the acceptable range will give you the comfort zone you need and using the hanna checker to keep it stable(long term) is my weapon of choice.

I actually love my hanna checkers.The first few posts really were a bit unfair and I believe boomer did clarify at some point.The fact that the hanna may be off by a certain factor say + or - 1 dkh for argument purposes and for instance,you maintain your alk at a recommended range of say 8.5 to 9.5 you are in a safe area regardless.The reason I love the hanna against any test kit under say $100 is the accuracy on repeated testing done on same sample.,when repeated tests are done on a single sample,The results are usually spot on for each test done.If several tests are done with a salifert alk kit (or similar),same sample,the results of each test will be off (and vary)by a fair amount (test kit noise,and user error i suppose).So for me,I know when my corals look there best and this correlates to 8.5dkh on the hanna.I can keep it much more stable this way by having a good constant to keep my alk tweeked with.Using a salifert kit I would get .5 to 1 dkh variance between tests when actually the alk was very stable.For me a stable way of measuring is the important factor given the instrument is somewhat accurate for our coral keeping purposes.

As far as the Phos checker.This is also a very constant way of measuring low phos levels.Again if it is off by a reasonable amount but I get consistent measurements on the same sample tested three or 4 times,I know this # is somewhat trust-able.On the contrary,if I get 4 significantly different readings from several tests done on the same sample with test kits,I find this # not trust-able.
I agree 100%, I have the same inconsistent results with my salifert, I am satisfy to get consistent result with the hanna test kit, I have just adjusted my target to were my corals look best to me.

I agree 100%, I have the same inconsistent results with my salifert, I am satisfy to get consistent result with the hanna test kit, I have just adjusted my target to were my corals look best to me.

I agree, if I adjust to where coral looks best using my Hanna as my point of reference I think this is the answer. My Hanna is consistent, quick and easy. The heck with -18% of read out, the look of the coral is the correct answer.

I check my Hanna against the Salifert and the difference was .1dKH. The Hanna was higher .1 dKH.

Back