Hanna Alk Checker

Thanks Boomer for the clarification. At the end of the day if your tank inhabitants are looking good despite the higher readings so be it.

Ironically my tank is looking better overall with a Hanna Phos reading of 0.07 ppm instead of my usual 0-0.02 readings.

doctorgori: I thing you and I will be good cyber friends.

So I just tested my alk using both the api test kit and the hanna alk checker, on the api kit I got a reading of 8dkh and on the hanna I got a reading of 145 or 8.1dkh .Could this be right or is my alk lower than 8dkh?
Thanks.

I have always found the API to be very accurate and consistent so think youa re in the ballpark. My API and hanna are very close to each other.

Guys I spent allot of time with Habib from Salifert and we are not out of the water yet, so will reply here more soon. I l also talked to Chris Jury about it. This whole Hanna and test done by my friend Dana seems to be a big mess. It appears the Salifert is right on and does read higher than the Hanna and is suppsoe to. That means the Hanna is more accurate than the HACH test done in the article. In Alk testing there is a serious issue between CO2 in FW and CO2 in SW. Also, the titration end point is not the same at high Alk as it is low Alk. I looked at Millero Labs (the only place to test a Alk kit for seawater) data sheets on the testing of the it and it is +/- 0.1 dKH within NSW on his reagents. I will try to get Habib to reply to this thread. He is thinking of doing a full blown article for Advanced Aquarist to clear up all this Alk mess we have always had to deal with. I have said for years the Sailfert is the best Alk test and it now seems to being proved me right again but have had my doubts from posted Salifert values and Dana's article. I too have been led astray.

This is who Dr. Frank Millero is

http://cdiac.ornl.gov/oceans/

http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/people/faculty-index/?p=frank-millero

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Oceanography-Frank-J-Millero/dp/0849384230

Last edited:
Hanna VS. Salifert

Hanna VS. Salifert

This thread has been on my mind for sometime. I just tested the alk. in my DT and here is what I found. Test with Hanna tester was 6.8 dKH my test with the Salifert was 6.7 dKH. So I feel relaxed that the one I have is a good one.

Hmm, interesting I always found my salifert tests to very between kits, and a few years back ran into a number of issues with them misreading. I ended up switching to ELOS which worked for a while, then I found a discrepancy between 2 kits (I always do a test w/the new kit and the old before I make the switch). So I switched back to Salifert where I found a HUGE difference between Elos & Salifert. My Salifert kit was reading 2dkh higher then my elos. Finally I figured I would try the Hanna, hoping it would at least leave out any guess work done by my eye. I found my hanna to read slightly less then my salifert. Now I'm just kinda at a loss, but I shoot for 8-8.5dkh hoping that if I'm off by +/- 1.5 I'm "ok". As long as I get constant results. I'm a happy camper. It's the best I can ask for I guess? Unfortunately.. I've spent the past month trying to re-dial in my dosers as my alk is doing something weird things. I do hope it's not the tester..

I purchased a Hanna ALK test meter and got test results of 169 which I think means 9.464 (which is 169 * .056) -- did I do that correctly? Is this a good ALK number or is it a bit low? Thanks

I purchased a Hanna ALK test meter and got test results of 169 which I think means 9.464 (which is 169 * .056) -- did I do that correctly? Is this a good ALK number or is it a bit low? Thanks

Yes you did that right. 169PPM x .056 = 9.464dKH. The range for Alk is 7-11dKH. I like to keep mine 8-10 so 9.4 is not low, about right IMO.

Hi All, I get my new Hanna alk. checker tomorrow, are we saying I should also get a Salifert kit just to cross ck.the Hanna?

From what I get out of what is being discussed, it would be a good idea. As long as you get the Salifert from a good source to ensure it's far from expiration.

My salifert and hanna read very close.

From what I get out of what is being discussed, it would be a good idea. As long as you get the Salifert from a good source to ensure it's far from expiration.

My salifert and hanna read very close.

DB. That is how it seems to be coming across on the thread.I would think we should be able to use what ever the decided multiplier +/- for the Hanna is, to come up with a Correct alk. #. May be a cross ck is ok every so often, and if the Hanna gives readings that are consistent, with out major swings, seems the Hanna would be fine without having to depend on how my eyes are working from one day to the next. I guess if it were easy we would find another pastime.

As long as the hanna is close and consistent I imagine that would be good enough for all intensive purposes. Consistency would be the main thing.

My Hanna tester came today. Question,- with the tip on the 1mL syringe when I pull back the plunger the reagent dose not enter the syringe when the plunger is pulled back as far as it can go without coming out of the syringe. There is no marking on the tip so I don't know if I have 1mL or not? also the regent seems to start to drain from the syringe on its own immediately. Am I doing something wrong?

No, you got a bad syringe, the one that came with my calcium kit is already bad after 2 uses. Call Hanna.

the tip may not be fitting on tightly enough. (leakage) Mine did the same until i put a wire tie around the end where it goes on to the syringe, makes it fit much tighter. pull the syringe up to where you would normally to get 1ml. there will be 1ml in the tip.

Ok I have the tip fitting tight, and the reagent is no longer leaking back out on its own, but the reagent still only reaches the top of the tip where it attaches to the syringe and dose not enter the syringe. Is this correct or should the reagent also go into the syringe a bit? I want to make sure I'm using the correct amount of reagent

Back