Happy Coral not so happy

SuperSaiyanGoku

I wanted to share my recent experience with Christian Scott at Happy Coral which was not a "Happy" experience. During Black Friday I placed an order with Happy Coral. Happy Coral was offering 40 percent off and shipping for $30. I wanted to see what kind of corals Happy Coral had to offer. I have ordered from other venders in the past (Live Aquaria, Cherry Corals, etc). Upon placing my order I had a problem checking out. I was ordering at 3:00 a.m. and for some reason my order did not go through using paypal and was having problems checking out. I emailed Christian and let him know that paypal wasn't letting me check out for some reason. At about 3:30 am my phone rings and it is Christian calling me to tell me to try my order again. While startled that he called me at that time of hour I did what he asked. Just a note that this was the first sign that Christian's company was not very proffessional. I did read the reviews of his company and there was only one person that gave him a bad review stating his corals had red bugs but didn't have proof to back it up. So I really didn't worry about anything. So I had the money payed directly to Christian's paypal account through verified email. It was about $130 order. I emailed Christian to see if he had received my payment and if the corals that I ordered was the WYSWYG corals I ordered from the website. I didn't hear back from him. I actually didn't hear back from him for two days, when I proceeded to cancel my order and notified him through email. An hour later after emailing Christian, I received an email saying he couldn't cancel my order because my order had already shipped and was on its way. I subconsciously questioned myself because when I sent out the email, it was on Sunday during the day that I cancelled my order and he called me on Monday to tell me that my order couldn't be cancelled. This was the second break down of communication with Christian. Again, I emailed him and let him know that this was not a problem and was looking forward to my recent purchase. My corals arrived on Tuesday morning around 10:00. It was about 30 degrees here in Wisconsin and the corals were coming from Michigan. So the temperature should have been about the same. More importantly, Christian was well aware of the weather up here in the North. Upon opening up my package, I noticed that all of the corals (11 of them total) were all shipped in a 8x10 box. I was very surprised that all of the frags were shipped in such a small box, but didn't worry. That is until I opened the box and discovered all of the corals were shipped in individual small frag bags, which were all stuffed into one larger bag. The box had styrofoam lined on the inside and a heat pack at the top. I was a little concerned because of the lack of water the the corals were each in. Regardless, I removed the first coral from the tiny frag bag, and noticed it was bleached considerably. I place it in an acclimation bucket and opened the next one. Coral after coral, they were all bleached. Eight corals total, and the others showed signs of bleaching and may not recover. So over fifty percent of my order arrived D.O.A. I called Christian and let him know that most if not all if my corals arrived dead. He stated that he ran out of regular bags, and used the frag bags instead and this may have been the reason why they were bleached because of the lack of water in the bags. He asked me to take pictures. I took some pictures with my iPad and sent them to Christian. I had problems sending them to his email provided. The pictures were too big to send all at once which I figured out after they were sent back undeliverable. So I sent them each individually. When Christian received the pictures, two days later, he emailed me back and stated that I would receive "points" on future purchases because of my blundered order. I questioned his good faith by issuing me points and asked him what these points meant. I actually had to go and read the disclosure on his website where I had to explain to Christian that there was no point system explained but only a credit issued. I might add that one of the stipulations to receiving my credit was not to bash Happy Corals on any forum, or that would nullify and void my credit. This was clearly explained on his website. Christian emailed me back and made it clear that points were the same as a credit and that I was confused somehow. Again this was another red flag that this order did not seem right. So a day went by, and I received an email from Christian that he wanted more pictures of the corals lined up because he couldn't see them properly. The first pictures that I sent were of the corals lined up in my quarantine clearly showing the corals bleached out.

The second grouping of pictures were the corals placed in my Display tank which I put in there hoping they would recover from the stress of improperly shipping them. I emailed back Christian and told him that I have wasted enough time on this and let him know I felt very patronized by him. He proceeded to call my personal phone which I decided at that point to contact paypal and open up a claim and dispute. I let Christian know that this situation was going to be handled through paypal and that the "point system" was not a fair way to correct his blunder in shipping. I requested a full refund through paypal. Upon review Christian refused to refund all of my money and offered me $73 back of my money. As part of Paypal's terms and agreements, they stated that if the decision was in favor of the seller and I didn't agree on the current terms that I might not get any refund back. I had ten days to decide. After a couple of days I decided to accept the offer and cut my losses. This definitely was a lesson learned. So this is why I have decided to let others know my experiences with Happy Coral. I didn't come here to bash Happy Coral. I wanted to let others know the experience that I had with a company that has a lack of appreciation for the hobby or the care of the live organisms that are used to make a profit from. I am sure that others have gotten corals from Christian and have been highly satisfied. As an avid saltwater enthusiast and work at a family run fish store, I know all to well how customer satisfaction is important. No matter what the situation, you always want to make the customer feel important and not belittled. I know that this is not true at many stores that depend on marked up prices and sales people that are rude to run the business. I wanted to protect others from this kind of irresponsibility and neglect. I currently would not recommend Christian and his company Happy Corals.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 0
Were the corals dead or bleached? There's a difference. And why would you ask if what you ordered was WYSIWYG AFTER you ordered them?

Either way, that sucks. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Last edited:
Shipping this time of year can be pretty bad. From the pick it looks like they are still alive? I've ordered from him a few time and not had problems sorry you went through this.

I have had a multitude of issues with him. So have a number of people I know. Don't feel like writing a book on everything that has happened, but a few things.

Have had him cut a wysiwyg coral because it got stung and was receding and ship it without telling me it happened or that the piece I paid for was now smaller and dying. Then he blamed me, stating that he isn't in the business of holding corals. The reason he hadn't shipped it to me however was that a fish I purchased from him died and he was getting a replacement. I had given him the option of sending the coral and other pieces I had purchased immediately, but he did not want to because he would have to pay twice the shipping. He ended up not being able to get a replacement and gave me credit for the fish, which was not an issue. The other issue with the order was that he didn't ship other fish that I had ordered with the shipment. I contacted him asking why and he told me he thought I didn't want them anymore. I had never given any indication, after all I had purchased them in the first place. He then didn't want to give me a refund for the fish I purchased that he never provided, but store credit. I objected. It then took well over a month for him to refund the price of the fish despite consistent reminders. During this time I still had a large store credit for the fish that had died. I ended up holding onto that for quite some time. Eventually I ordered a couple things and ended up with a fish arriving DOA in a bag that looked like it had been filled with incredibly dirty water. Not because the fish was dead, but all sorts of sediment. So again I was frustrated and still had store credit. I finally decided I would pick out anything I remotely like and have the ordeal done with. Mind you, I have been paying for shipping each time, while having issues on his end. So I made my final order and selected a shipping date. I checked and double checked the shipping date and address because I had two different addresses on file and needed to ensure it going to the right place. The evening comes when I should be receiving my tracking # and I receive nothing. I email and he tells me he doesn't have a shipping date in the system for me which I know I put in. It was the one day that worked well for me and now I was going to have issues receiving a package anytime soon. At the same time, my friend was also trying to use store credit he has had forever due to a ton of different issues. He was told he couldn't right now because I had just used mine! Can't use credit that comes from cash you paid over a year ago and Happy Coral has been able to sit on that long? Eventually he relents and let my friend order the stuff he tried to originally after the date in which my friend was trying to receive his shipment. He was busy as well, so we tried to combine the order and my friend would work from home one day. We were told that was not allowed despite the fact we both agreed to pay shipping respectively!!!

These are just a few of the many issues I have had. I could go on involving both myself and people I know. This problems spanning multiple years now. I will not be going back, nor will anyone I know. I will add as well that I have issues just like anyone else with ordering online through different vendors. I have never felt so strongly that I needed to warn others. I have always reached a mutually agreement and dealt with any issues with a level head.

Happy Coral

Happy Coral

I totally agree! I have bought many things from him in the past. Most of the time he does not respond to questions or do what he says unless there is immediate money involved! The last thing I did was give him about five hundred dollars in frags to make a website that he never did and gave him money on top of that to make a banner that looked like he drew it with crayons!!! I'm so unhappy with him and hope nobody else has to go through this with christian scott!

Happy Coral

Happy Coral

I have had a multitude of issues with him. So have a number of people I know. Don't feel like writing a book on everything that has happened, but a few things.

Have had him cut a wysiwyg coral because it got stung and was receding and ship it without telling me it happened or that the piece I paid for was now smaller and dying. Then he blamed me, stating that he isn't in the business of holding corals. The reason he hadn't shipped it to me however was that a fish I purchased from him died and he was getting a replacement. I had given him the option of sending the coral and other pieces I had purchased immediately, but he did not want to because he would have to pay twice the shipping. He ended up not being able to get a replacement and gave me credit for the fish, which was not an issue. The other issue with the order was that he didn't ship other fish that I had ordered with the shipment. I contacted him asking why and he told me he thought I didn't want them anymore. I had never given any indication, after all I had purchased them in the first place. He then didn't want to give me a refund for the fish I purchased that he never provided, but store credit. I objected. It then took well over a month for him to refund the price of the fish despite consistent reminders. During this time I still had a large store credit for the fish that had died. I ended up holding onto that for quite some time. Eventually I ordered a couple things and ended up with a fish arriving DOA in a bag that looked like it had been filled with incredibly dirty water. Not because the fish was dead, but all sorts of sediment. So again I was frustrated and still had store credit. I finally decided I would pick out anything I remotely like and have the ordeal done with. Mind you, I have been paying for shipping each time, while having issues on his end. So I made my final order and selected a shipping date. I checked and double checked the shipping date and address because I had two different addresses on file and needed to ensure it going to the right place. The evening comes when I should be receiving my tracking # and I receive nothing. I email and he tells me he doesn't have a shipping date in the system for me which I know I put in. It was the one day that worked well for me and now I was going to have issues receiving a package anytime soon. At the same time, my friend was also trying to use store credit he has had forever due to a ton of different issues. He was told he couldn't right now because I had just used mine! Can't use credit that comes from cash you paid over a year ago and Happy Coral has been able to sit on that long? Eventually he relents and let my friend order the stuff he tried to originally after the date in which my friend was trying to receive his shipment. He was busy as well, so we tried to combine the order and my friend would work from home one day. We were told that was not allowed despite the fact we both agreed to pay shipping respectively!!!

These are just a few of the many issues I have had. I could go on involving both myself and people I know. This problems spanning multiple years now. I will not be going back, nor will anyone I know. I will add as well that I have issues just like anyone else with ordering online through different vendors. I have never felt so strongly that I needed to warn others. I have always reached a mutually agreement and dealt with any issues with a level head.

I'm sorry you had to go through this with him! I just read you entire post and laughed because it so sounds like him! He couldn't give you the corals on time and didn't have them anymore because he owes everybody thousands of dollars! His coral supplier holiday coral won't sell to him because he nicked him for three thousand dollars. Then he owes all the shippers so much money they are reluctant to ship his packages. I guess thats why he still lives in his parents basement and can't drive!

What a joke.

That last post made sure that I never shop with this guy or his company. He actually THREATENS customers instead of trying to make things right?

As a business owner, shame on this man. His mindset should be like ours: "The answer is yes- now what is the question."

This is why I'm happy I have so many lfs close by and lots of Craigslist reefers as well. unless its gear I don't do online... My 2 cents

Back