has anyone tried the blueline e- ballast

reeffool

I AM LOOKING TO UPGRADE MY LIGHTS AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS TRIED THE BLUELINE BALLASTS? I HAVE HEARD SOME PRETTY MIXED REVIEWS ABOUT ICECAPS AND SPACE AND HEAT ARE AN ISSUE.

I've run other MH ballasts. I prefer the Bluelines. I have two 250's and one 400w. You can place your hand on the ballasts at any time and they won't burn you like other ballasts would.
I think they've worked the kinks out of the newer Icecap MH ballasts, but you still need to "tune" them to the specific halide lamp you're burning.
The Blueline ballast will burn 'em all without a "tuning".

I returned my e-ballasts. I run PFO with xm 10k, I cannot be happier with the result.

I would recommend that you look at either sanjays or JBNY thread on lighting and ballasts. THere are pictures of all sorts of combos and the respective PAR.

The PAR from the PFO/Xm combo is very high.

I have also used Blueline Ballast for 6 years or so. Like Gary said, they run pretty cool compared to some other ballasts. They do not over drive the bulbs like some ballasts, so like Kent said, if you are looking to get as much par as you possibly can out of your light, then check Sanjay's and JBNY's threads for other ballasts.
I've had the blueline ballasts installed on many customers tanks, and never had a problem. The one blueline I've ever seen die was flooded with 100 gallons of SW, and it still worked for a few weeks before it died.

I do have a PFO HQI ballast overdriving a pair of single ended 20K 250 watt bulbs. It works good and burns the bulb a little whiter, but it sucks up a ton of power and kills the life of the bulb quicker.

Blue Line constructs a very ruggedly constructed and stalwart ballast. I have had one driving 175 MH bulbs for 2.5 years. My only complaint is that thedy emit a rather loud humming noise as compared to my PFO ballast that is virtually silent. Overall though, I don't think you can go wrong with blue line products.

I forgot, it ruined my tv reception, but I wouldn't care now because I don't watch TV. Does anyone else have this problem?

I remember you had the interference problem, Kent.
I'll agree about TV- it stinks.
Personally, I've never had any problems with my Blueline ballasts. No humming or TV interference.
My old cap and coil ballasts used to hum, though... and man were they hot!

Back