Have you seen this fake liverock?

dixiedog

I'm thinking it would be nice for my QT tank, a lot less hideously ugly than a pile of PVC fittings. It's made of fiberglass. A LFS near me has it but it's extremely expensive and I'm trying to find a direct source for it.

2qipd2s.jpg

2wp81gp.jpg

538x3c.jpg

That's pretty amazingly realistic - a heck of a lot better job than the rather ugly "Real Reef Rock" man-made stuff (that's just my opinion - some folks like the garish purple color).

But from the standpoint of actually providing some biofiltration, you'd be better off by either cycling some natural dry rock yourself (like Marco Rock's material), or better yet, ceramic bio-filtration media such as Eheim's substrat pro or Marine Pure's ceramic bio-blocks. What one needs for bio-filtration is surface area, and actual live rock or one of these substitutes has a massive amount of surface area relative to the volume of the media.

The potential advantage to one of the ceramic substitutes is that in the event you get a fish that has ich, marine velvet or another marine parasite, the media can be easily sterilized with a little bit of bleach or even by just soaking it in RODI water after you cure the fish.

I think it is beautiful, but what is wrong with a real rock, or a clay brick for a quarantine tank?

I got some "cultured" fake live rock. What beautiful colors of purple, blue and red. I've had it for about seven months. Not one bit of the "coralline algae" has grown but has been grown over from green and pink/purple coralline from other live rock.
If it looks to beautiful and almost painted stay away from it.

I'm thinking it would be nice for my QT tank, a lot less hideously ugly than a pile of PVC fittings. It's made of fiberglass. A LFS near me has it but it's extremely expensive and I'm trying to find a direct source for it.

2qipd2s.jpg

2wp81gp.jpg

538x3c.jpg

Do you have the name of the company that makes this?

I think it is beautiful, but what is wrong with a real rock, or a clay brick for a quarantine tank?

Hey Paul...do you think clay bricks make a good live rock substitute? I was thinking of using some bricks in my sump for a fish only holding system in my store for extra biological. Are they porous when submerged?

That looks like the red sea fake rock that is NO LONGER available to my knowledge, they made them years ago and I was told they stopped cause there was little selling of them

Hey Paul...do you think clay bricks make a good live rock substitute? I was thinking of using some bricks in my sump for a fish only holding system in my store for extra biological. Are they porous when submerged?

Yes I do, it is more porous than real rock, it's cheap and available. The only reason people don't use them is because they are afraid to think outside the box. And they are not real good looking. Don't use used brick from your yard as it may have insecticides on it. Go to Home Depot and get some new ones and soak them for a couple of days

That would be great for a QT, and it wouldn't absorb medications like real rock. If you find a source, please share it!

Well hopefully the colors will be covered with alive colors. So therefore the rocks would have served their purpose. Eye candy until the real eye candy comes in.

2qipd2s.jpg

2wp81gp.jpg

538x3c.jpg

get the name off of them at the LFS.I think I could find it for you.thats nice stuff, I want some too.

Well hopefully the colors will be covered with alive colors. So therefore the rocks would have served their purpose. Eye candy until the real eye candy comes in.

But way over priced eye candy.
Could put the money towards something worth while.

Back