Heat from Dc Pumps

laserjim

Another Day In Paradise
How much heat do these large DC pumps put out used in sump? Thinking about replacing my Reeflo Dart, heats up my room. Thinking about the Jebao DC 12000

For my 265.

I dont know but I am thinking of doing the same thing. I have a dart also and want to get a jeboa 12000. If for no other reason the ele cost and the fact that you can control them.

DC pumps run hot, that's why a lot of the early ones failed. I'm not sure I'd run a Jebao return unless you have a couple, the dart on the other hand is a tank :)

You here conflicting stories. I read one guy say the Dc pumps run cool. One guy said it out performed his Snapper. Wish I knew someone who has one.

Heat from Dc Pumps

I have a DC 12000 ..using it ATM on a 25"x25"x12 frag tank with a 20gal long sump...temps never get over 75 deg with heater off...thing I like about the DC 12000 is it is controllable so it will work on my 340 gal system as well...also has a feed mode on the controller which is nice

You here conflicting stories. I read one guy say the Dc pumps run cool. One guy said it out performed his Snapper. Wish I knew someone who has one.

I had meant that the magnet part gets hot and can cause issues with the pump. I've had two fail on my skimmer. Maybe they changed the design or power supply since then?

I am not sure about the DC pumps for returns. But I am in the same boat as Chadraay. I had two fail on a RO dcs250 skimmer. I returned skimmer and waiting for prime series or Aquamaxx as they will not have DC pumps. the RO dc pumps ran hotter then my old sedra5000 euroreef pump. But as a return for a large tank I do not think it will add up to much heat.

My waveline dc6000 throws off little to no heat. Putting my hand on it in the sump its barely warmer than the water is. It is their 2nd gen pump so im not sure if that makes a difference.

Heat is a byproduct of watts. DC pumps are low wattage. Therefore, they are not going to produce a lot of heat.

Yea I don't use my DC pumps for anything but returns...the skimmers I buy usually come with a great pump already like mine with a bubble blaster 3000

Speedwave DC 10k here, can barely feel a difference on it, but I only need to run it on setting 4 of 6.

Have a dc pump on my rlss skimmer and it has never been even warm to the touch
Also run Jabeo 12000 and no issues with heat. I have to run a heater on tank to keep temp. Up. Running LEDs and dc pumps makes for a much cheaper power bill.

I dont know but I am thinking of doing the same thing. I have a dart also and want to get a jeboa 12000. If for no other reason the ele cost and the fact that you can control them.

I don't think the pump ran hot I read it was the power supply.

I run a Jebao 6000 on my 80 gallon and even with two 250 watt halides I had to put a heater on the tank with the house temp at 76-78. They put out little to no heat in my expierience.

Does anyone have anything to add as far as running them out of the sump? I just got a 1200 and have been reluctant to actually take on re plumbing my return to include an in the sump pump. I'd like to run it out of the sump like my dart, but the box says in sump only. Others have said it is fine in or out. Maybe it will heat up outside of the water?

Guess it will be in sump. Last thing I want to worry about when I'm out of town is it springing a leak.

Back