Heater location

solitude127

Proud user of IO Salt!
Does anyone put their heater in the overflow box instead of the sump? I'm trying to clean up my sump a little

I do both. One in overflow and one in sump. You should make sure your overflow will always be full of water, e.g. a standpipe

The overflow heater is good in case the circulation pump fails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should put your heater in the maximum contact area that works for you. Near output of skimmer that will swirl water around to heat up in sump. Near return pump is not a good area as the water being warmed up has to cycle thru whole system before triggering heater to cut off for set temp. Just my experience

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Does anyone put their heater in the overflow box instead of the sump? I'm trying to clean up my sump a little

It's possible if you have a tall standpipe, but risky if you don't. The heater might not turn off if the return pump ever goes out.

Just a side note:

Make sure that if you are using a temp probe, it is in the tank or the overflow regardless where the heaters are.

I am speaking from experience. I had the probe next to the heater in the sump. Forgot to turn on the pumps after cleaning and never knew that the temp in the tank was going down. The sump was happy.

Last edited:
True if you using a heater on a controller your temp sensor is also important. I run mine next to the return pump.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

If your temp probe is in the display, and you run the heaters in the overflow or sump, I would have a statement in the heater controller to shut off the heater if the main pump is off. That way you don't boil the overflow or sump.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back