Hello and Here Goes ...

JohnnyReefNoob

No hurries = no worries.
Brand new, but jumping in the deep end. Taking my time planning. Here is what I am thinking ...
MIXED REEF TANK - Footprint limited to 48x24 so 100 gallon range?
STAND - Custom design by me but built by amazing local welder in anodized aluminum. Want open look to display big sump below, and extra width for me to add on wood panels and shelves for control panel, dosing gear, and a dedicated 20g fuge. No doors, but blackout curtain if needed?
CONTROLS - Full Neptune/Apex ...
SUMP - Looking hard at Bashsea sump and gear (skimmer, reactor?, etc) ...
EXTERNAL ATO RESERVOIR - Big ...
LIGHTING - Probably Neptune/Apex ...
RO/DI - At least 4 stage, maybe 5? in custom bottomless cabinet on wall in guest bathroom over commode fed by commode supply and waste to sink with good water in 5g storage container in tub. This will be the first sub-build.

Gonna likely need help/advice plumbing the fuge out of and back into the sump flow (somehow?) and balancing the system.

Will be an avid reader/mostly lurker until things start coming together.

All sounds great! I highly recommend a silent overflow design like one of these:

Silent & Fail-Safe Aquarium Overflow System | BeanAnimal's Reef

https://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/#:~:text=The Herbie Overflow Method is,separate unrestricted “emergency standpipe”.

Also, since you don't seem to be shy on spending money, for lighting perhaps check out the ATI Straton,

Straton LED - ATI North America

or the Phillips coral care,

Philips CoralCare Gen2 LED Light Fixtures
Thanks for the recommendations! I am going to be looking at a lot of different options. Plumbing the flow is going to be the biggest design challenge, I think.

Deciding factor for lighting will be compatibility with Neptune control system, and even coverage. Leaning toward suspension for Display.

Going to Reef A Palooza in Orlando to drool and get ideas and inspirations.

It's just money ... can't take it with me when the adventure reaches its conclusion. I am single, no kids, so I am free to indulge.
Sounds like a great plan. The only thing I’d consider is possibly a larger storage container as 5 gallons doesn’t seem like enough. I have 32 gallon brute for my 65 and it’s small on occasion.
The plan is for 5g at a time. Found some stackable 5g storage containers. How many will be determined by water change quantity. For 100g I am guessing water changes will be 15-20 gallons? Not sure yet what total system capacity will be, but 150g is probably all I will be able to maintain.

All sounds great! I highly recommend a silent overflow design like one of these:

Silent & Fail-Safe Aquarium Overflow System | BeanAnimal's Reef

https://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/#:~:text=The Herbie Overflow Method is,separate unrestricted “emergency standpipe”.

Also, since you don't seem to be shy on spending money, for lighting perhaps check out the ATI Straton,

Straton LED - ATI North America

or the Phillips coral care,

Philips CoralCare Gen2 LED Light Fixtures
Awesome link for plumbing! Thank you very much! 👍

Hi!
Sounds you have a 90 gallon, like me.
You going FOWLR, Fish with just a few inverts, or full blown mixed reef??? (mushrooms, softies, LPS or SPS Stony corals?)
What look are you going for - minimalist? A few strategically placed caves of live rock? Or Fully stacked shelf reef?? Bare bottom or substrate??
That's going to dictate your lighting requirements!
May I suggest the Aqua Illumination 32 Hydras?? Two of those spaced evenly on your tank rim would be nice if you want corals.
Skimmer: GET THE REEF OCTOPUS. Mine takes a licking and keeps on skimming. The NT150 would be good for you.
FLOW: a pair of VorTechs
Sump: TRIGGER SYSTEMS! I have the Ruby 30 and it's great. You can put your skimmer in the middle chamber. Easy to plumb with PVC you can get at the el-Cheapo Depot. Get the matching top off.
I have the Bulk Reef 5-Banger RO-DI unit 75 GPD unit and it has NOT failed me in the eight years I've owned it. Get a good heater and pump to mix the salt in your tub and bring the water up to good temperature.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! I have (tentatively) decided to go bigger - a Tsunami 150g Bowfront. Eventually full reef. I am looking at the Trigger Systems TRITON44-v2 sump. Refugium with sand, rock, and inverts, growing lettuce. I am also thinking foam pre-filtration instead of socks so I get bio with mechanical.
Beyond that time will tell. This will be a slow, gradual, piece by piece build.
RO/DI first, then tank, then self-built stand. Then sump and plumbing, then filtration, skimmer, and pumps, then controls and ato, then lighting, then rock, sand, cycle. Then finally stock one addition at a time.
Planning is critical to bringing it all together. Tank probably won't get stock until late 2023, maybe even later than that. I am thinking I will have 10 grand invested just to get ready for livestock. That kind of investment will take time.

Thanks for the reply! I have (tentatively) decided to go bigger - a Tsunami 150g Bowfront. Eventually full reef. I am looking at the Trigger Systems TRITON44-v2 sump. Refugium with sand, rock, and inverts, growing lettuce. I am also thinking foam pre-filtration instead of socks so I get bio with mechanical.
RO/DI first, then tank, then self-built stand. Then sump and plumbing, then filtration, skimmer, and pumps, then controls and ato, then lighting, then rock, sand, cycle. Then finally stock one addition at a time.
Planning is critical to bringing it all together. Tank probably won't get stock until late 2023, maybe even later than that. I am thinking I will have 10 grand invested just to get ready for livestock. That kind of investment will take time.
Make sure you check out a few bowfronts that are setup. They tend to cause some visual distortion that you may not like. Is that Tsunami an acrylic tank? Not sure if acrylic changes that distortion effect for the better but it might.

Larger systems are much more stable, but why Bow Front?
Some claim the view is distorted depending on view angle.
Your space is 48”24” which is quite common and makes for a nice glass box.
48”x24x24 cube with 2 very diffused lights.
Welcome to the hobby!
Have fun!

Bowfront just to be a little different, and I like the way they look. I haven't made a buying decision yet, but I am leaning that way presently. If I can find a reputable 48×24×30, 15mm or 5/8" glass I may change my mind. I have lots of time before I "put cash on the counter". I am finding that most big tank dealers bundle stands also, and some add stumps too. I want a custom stand (probably self-built) and to choose the sump myself. So I am just looking at "tank only" offers now.

Back