Hello, hello, hello, is there anybody in there ???

Curtis1

Hello, really wish that this forum was frequented a little more often. We need to get some people active again in the area. Maybe even jump on the CORA wagon too !!! I've just set-up a new 75 gallon reef tank. Lookin' for FRAGS !!! PM me !!! mini-DSCF3535.jpg

Ya I've been finding quite a few members from this site now on other sites so I'm not sure what happened.

It's a 75 gallon reeftank. At first, I was kind of interested in just filling it with zoos. But will probably put a little of everything in it. Have a Glass holes 1500gph overflow and 3/4" Loc-line return, Eheim 1260 pump with a 30'ish gal sump/refugium doing the 24hr macro algae deal. I set the tank up with an old-school style Jaubert style plenum and 4-5" DSB. I've tried every other type of tank set-up but this one. Have 2 Tunze 6065's in the tank. 2 x 200w Eheim/Jager heaters on a Ranco temp controller in the sump. A Reef Octopus NW-110 Protein Skimmer in sump. Dual Eheim auto feeders. Seperate BRS reactors, Carbon and GFO. Tunze Osmolator ATO. BRS 6 stage RO/DI. Lights are the D120 LED's, 10" from the water. The tank was set-up around the 1st of May. I used dry Live Rock that was left out for about a year. At the present I have around 9 frags doing well. Coralline Algae just starting to form. I have stocked the tank from the near beginning with LS and Pods. Have 4 BG Chromis/1 Yellow-Eye Kole Tang/1 Green Mandarin/1 Serpent Star/Med-lg size CUC/ 5 species of Macro Algae in the sump. I want to stock the tank to it's fullest with everything, corals/fish/inverts. A nice peaceful community. My parameters are Temp-79-82 degrees F / pH 8.1 / dKh 8 / Cal 420 / Mag 1350 / SG 1.025 / I use IO Salt and do 5 gal WC 1 x wk. Right now just trying to keep everything simple till I get to the 6 mos mark. I want to set-up a QT tank next before I add anything else to the main DT. So tell me about your's !!! Do you go to any fragswaps ??? It is an expensive hobby. I try to buy everything used. I'd say that over 80% of my equipment was bought used from the selling forums on RC. I'll be lookin' for your reply, later.

Aren't you the same Tyler that I met before ??? I remember going to a huge frag swap at the pet store in Nitro. There were quite a few people around then. What happened to everyone ??? I can't believe that you haven't sold your set-up yet ???

Hmm, not sure. I've never been to one of the swaps, however I've been to the shop many many times.

Times are tough around here for the hobby... Almost have to give stuff away if you want it to go locally, and then when you do have some interest the buyer agrees on a price then never responds again.

Like you said, it's an expensive hobby and a lot of people in the right demographic just really haven't had the expendable income for the past 4-5 years... Heck, I even took a few years away from the reefkeeping portion and just got my current system up and running about six months ago.

When I started in the hobby 2008-2009 there were a couple active local forums and a small but solid yet somewhat tumultuous group, now there are like three local people that I know personally and that's about it.

Well, I hope that we can find more than 3 or 4 people that are back into it. My buddy in Grayson,Ky.,,, Jimsreef here on RC, got out. I have met McCown from Stone, Ky. He's an awesome dude, great to deal with !!! supernice guy !!! I think that Amy in Ashland is still in the game. Her and her old man are cool as hell. I've been to there house too. Hitman, where are you from ??? So tell us about your tank. You too Tyler. I also have a buddy in Portsmouth, Oh with a Nano Tank. He has a family member that just set-up a larger tank. I'll see if I can get them to get on the forum. I'm getting ready to buy up around 2 dozen frags from a couple of reefers here on RC. I wanted to buy from Dr. Macs,,, but man is he $$$. His frags average around $25-$35 each !!! I did just buy around 11 frags from Reefs 2 Go. Averaged cost of about $10.00 a frag. They were all pretty nice. They sent me an e-mail special after I had bought some Macro Algae and PODS. You buy 5 polyps and they'd put anywhere from 6-10. So they are good to deal with. Any of you have any frags ??? I don't have any to frag out yet. In the past I have always bought large colonies to fill my tanks. This time, I decided to just use small frags and let it all fill in naturally. It will take much longer, but I think that it will be more rewarding in the future. Plus the frags are alot cheaper, I can let some time go by in between orders etc. while watching them grow. See if you guys can get any body back. Later, Curt.

I think that Amy in Ashland is still in the game. Her and her old man are cool as hell.I've been to there house too.
Hey Curt we're still around... man that's back when this forum was FUN :jester: Glad to have somebody local again...might have to get together for a couple group buys.

Like you said, it's an expensive hobby and a lot of people in the right demographic just really haven't had the expendable income for the past 4-5 years... Heck, I even took a few years away from the reefkeeping portion and just got my current system up and running about six months ago....
When I started in the hobby 2008-2009 there were a couple active local forums and a small but solid yet somewhat tumultuous group, now there are like three local people that I know personally an}d that's about it.
There's more of us out here that aren't that vocal on the boards.
At my LFS overall there's really never been a down turn in salt during the past several years. Same 6 month wonders and 10+ year old customers. Sadly due to many reasons most local reefers know nothing about this forum and it seems most that do don't post unless it's to buy or sell anymore.

Seems this place is pretty barren : (
Why don't you (or anybody else that wants an active club/swap etc. again) tell us about your current tank? Ask questions? Start some type of discussion? (Ask curtis1 and mattg about my bare bottom turned into an interesting discussion LOL) That's how it started before.

Hey Ames, I knowd ye wuz out der somawheres !!! How you doin ??? Still got the salt goin' I assume ??? OMG, I'd forgot about the bare-bottom incident :O) ,,,Whatever happened to MattG ??? I'll have to try to get hold of him. Last I saw him, I'd went up to his house in W.V. by a golf course and bought a big monster Calcium Reactor from him as he was preparing to move off somawheres like Tejas ???? Well Amy, I was trying to set-up a simple small 75 gallon reeftank. But somehow it's kinda turned out like a game of Sim City !!! You ever played it ??? It just gets bigger and bigger and faster and faster. I am going to try to slow it down a bit. I have only had it up for 2.5 mos and have 44 frags in it already. I have 7 fish. CUC, Emerald Crab, Serpent Star. I'm getting ready to start checking the water parameters to see when to start using Kalk in my ATO. I didn't want to go that route, but got some good buys on quite a few SPS and LPS. So tell me about your set-up. Get out there and get some more people back. I'll see what I can do. I may make something like a flyer to take to both of the Bert's stores to see if we can find some others that way. I always try to support my LFS. Jim and his family are good people and I'm glad that they are there. The store at Russell, is awesome !!! I was very impressed with how well stocked he was for everything. Later.

Why don't you (or anybody else that wants an active club/swap etc. again) tell us about your current tank? Ask questions? Start some type of discussion? (Ask curtis1 and mattg about my bare bottom turned into an interesting discussion LOL) That's how it started before.

I've got a good topic starter. The shop in Nitro has their 500 gallon display up and running. It's got 15 Ecotech Radions on it.

Here's a pic

That's a big ol tank. They gonna put coral in it ??? I'll have to check it out next time I'm up that way. Haven't been up there in awhile,,,couple years I guess. I had them order me a 75 gal. and went up to pick it up. Haven't been back since, kinda far away for reefers in my area. On another note,,, another local reefer is getting back into the ring,,, Jim / Jimsreef on RC is takin' another stab at it. He and I will be driving to Wayne, W.V. to pick up a nice set-up that he is buying from a listing on Craigs list. He really got a sweet deal !!! We'll tear it down and haul it all to his home in Grayson and put it back together. This isn't the first time that we've done this, just another of several !!! Should be a fun day !!! So Hit Man, where are you from ? Tell us about your tank/tanks etc.

Last edited:
Yes the 500 is going to be a SPS only tank.

I'm in Hurricane, WV. I have a 125 coral tank and a 220 fish only. I'm a zoa nut. I currently have 40+ named zoas but most are still in the frag stage.

I'm pretty sure the 500 gal tank at specialty pets is Jim's old tank. They sanded it down and polished it then redid the facia on the stand. Built the canopy to hold the 15 ecotech. Can't remember how many but it's going to be matched with a crap load of vortech power heads. The rock work is great looking with the caves and a nice massive valley. Almost like to rock walls setting diagonally in the tank parallel with each other. Bunch of dead fish in it right now to speed up the cycle.

Phil bought the 500 from Jason Mccown. Yeah, the picture doesn't do the rock work justice. The valley between the rock walls is killer.

McCown ??? If he's the same guy I'm thinkin' of,,, from Stone, Ky.,,, Then I'd say that there's a really good chance, that a bunch of that rock in Phil's new 500 gallon may have been some that I sold Jason awhile back. I think It was somewhere around 225lbs. ??? If I remember correctly. Cool, one monster SPS tank !!! I'm a zoo freak too. I've only had my new tank up 2-3 mos and already have 44 frags in it !!! Of those, 23 are zoas and palys. Mostly zoas of the 23. Mine too are just frags with anywhere from 5 to 20 polyps. I'm getting ready to split some of them up again. They grow faster that way.

Yea Jason is the guy from Stone.
Somebody ought to get a better pic of Phil's tank sounds like it's going to be a sweet setup.

Curt, Matt is in Texas. He's a chiro now and has a beautiful 220g SPS tank...reminds me haven't talked to him in a few months. We still email from time to time.

You didn't have anything to do with dragging Jim back in did you? :lmao: Glad he's starting up again. Tell him to pop in and say hi.

We broke down our 220 last fall, after a lot of neglect, cooked all the old rock and moved it down here in Jan and made it a reef again. SPS/LPS some zoas and rics. Splurged on maxspect razor LEDs that I love. Have a little 30 cube BTA/clown tank too.

Speaking of zoas I have still some in the 30 that came from you. Back then they were green button polyps but now they're green implosions. LOL

Phil put all new rock in the 500.

Curtis, I'm sure you've got some zoas I don't have, if you cut some of them up, let me know and we can work out a trade.

Amy, speaking of zoas, did your spidermans ever recover? Always willing to trade :)

Hitman,,, I'm colorblind. I try to take or get a good picture of whatever I am putting in the tank. Sometimes the colors don't seem to match what you bought or ordered ??? May be the difference in lighting. But as soon as I have enought to frag out, I'll get hold of you for sure. Amy, Jim knew that I was getting back in, I had just bought some dry rock from him about 3 mos ago,,, I'd say him knowing that I was back, didn't help any. That's so cool that you still have some of my frags from back then !!! How long has that been, 6-8 yrs ???

Back