hello i alomst got stung by myy volitan loinfish while trying to catch a

lost1st manty:(

domino damselfish which i cycled the tank with, thats neither here nor there as I wanted to get a few more lions for my 150 but am allergic to bee stings as it is and almost died once from being stung, can they kill you especially if i am already allergic to bee stings, thanks

I may have no experience with being "stung" by a lionfish or bee but they do have the similar reactions with each other. A lionfishes' sting is more extreme than the bee sting but I don't know about fatality. If I were you, I would trade it or sell it to someone. Don't want to put my life on the line :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6972818#post6972818 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dustybuddy
completely different venom from a bee. i heard if you get stung by a volitan, you can go into a seizure. scary....
Well we might need an expert to agree on the consequences of a bee sting then. What about you "got stung by a lionfish" people?

Friend did, said his hand felt like it was constantly under a vise. He said it was worse than being pounded on with a hammer because a hammer at least has to be pulled back up giving a temporary relief!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6972586#post6972586 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by I like Triggers
or wear aqua gloves. they come up to your elbows and you cant be stung through them.

Not true, the venom carrying spines of a lionfish can easily pass through the light plastic of these gloves. The gloves are to keep contaminents out of the aquarium not to protect you from anything.

The venom in lionfish is similar to the neurotoxins in a bee sting. I would consult your doctor and get yourself tested as to the severity you are allergic.

When working arond my lions, I always chase them to one side of the tank and close it off with a net, while working on the opposite side, never had one come close to me in a long time. Humorous side note, my volitan is completely fearless in wondering around the tank until I place a small net in the tank. He will barely fit into the net, but if I place it anywhere near him, he freezes and wont move till I remove it. Crazy fish.

I have also heard that the 2 venoms are similar and that people allergic to bees are highly susceptible to Lion's venom. There is also a recent post in this forum that said the more you are stung the more prone you are to have an allergic reaction to it. I take my son to get allergy shots every week. I will ask his doctor if she knows anything about this.

Can't you get a needle for bee/fish sting. for emergency. Keep i with you always while playing in the water. I love my fish but I don't trust them much.... Could be food .. could be a finger or two. All looks the same to them ;)

I have been stung. I happened a log time ago when I worked in the LFS and forgot a lion was in the tank - totally my fault.

It hurts pretty bad. It got swollen to the size of a nickel and got really hard. It was OK in an hour and I could not tell that it even happened in a few days.

I would compare it more to a hornet or wasp than a bee for me.

chances are if your allergic to bee stings, a lion sting would give you a worst reaction than normal. whats really bad about lions is most bees inject around the same amount of venom( depending on species) Lions on the other hand wont die you get poked and can inject even more. it all depends if you brushed past him and poked yourself or if he went defensive and tried to poke you.

My friend is allergic to bee stings and then found out she is also allergic to certain ant stings and other animals sting with neurotoxins. All im saying is why risk it? accidents happen if he gets one good dive at you, you could be in serious trouble.

...Not everyone can have a 12 inch volitan that lets then rub its chin

I can pet my dwarf lions tail :D But what kind of lion do you have? From what i have learned the dwarfs are worse than the bigger lions, because they can inject more venom throught the shorter spines. Either way if your that allergic to a bee sting what in the world are you doing with a lion? Thats so much worse than a bee sting I just wouldn't risk it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6974170#post6974170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stykthyn
I have also heard that the 2 venoms are similar and that people allergic to bees are highly susceptible to Lion's venom. There is also a recent post in this forum that said the more you are stung the more prone you are to have an allergic reaction to it. I take my son to get allergy shots every week. I will ask his doctor if she knows anything about this.

That's not true. And I can almost assure you her doctor will know nothing about it; it's not taught in most med schools, and unless you have a special interest in it (like I do), then you don't really find out.

The common misconception comes from the analogy that's often made to bee stings, i.e. if you are allergic to lionfish venom, and you get stung, your reaction would be similar to being stung by a bee if you're allergic to bee stings. The two venoms are not at all similar. That also means (with both) that you need to be exposed to it at least once before you can develop a true allergy (that's the case with all allergies).

That said, if you are allergic to bee stings, it shows that your body may have the tendency to develop allergies, so that puts you at higher risk for developing the separate allergy to lionfish venom. From that standpoint, it's well worth protecting yourself.

Dave

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6977179#post6977179 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joking103
Can't you get a needle for bee/fish sting. for emergency. Keep i with you always while playing in the water. I love my fish but I don't trust them much.... Could be food .. could be a finger or two. All looks the same to them ;)

An Epi-pen. It injects epinephrine and slows the anaphylaxis. If you're to the point where you need to use one, it's a good idea to get to an ER right away.

Dave

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6982173#post6982173 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stykthyn
can u rub your lions chin?

Our black volitan "pumba" yes

he waits around 5pm-6pm at the top of the tank upside down. my antennata is getting almost that friendly, not al lions are this friendly. my antennata is very friendly but i would never dream of trying this with my dads zebra lion....way to aggro around feeding time

Back