Help blue hippo just came down with ich.. I need help with quarantine methods thanks

Vaquarium

I recently bought a very old, very established and VERY NEGLECTED 100 gal reef in poor shape detritus every where very dirty sand etc etc.. 70 lbs of live rock not growing much but brown algae... I have been doing regular water changes
Cleaning algae, and slowly cleaning the sand(only top layer). I was told when I got the tank that the hippo is now 20years old purchased in 93 and has caught ich 3 times each time receiving a near death freshwater dip. It was after this last gravel vac and major water change she got ich again. Should I quarantine all fish together in one tank and treat..or should I putt my hippo in one qt, and my other fish in a different qt?Being that my hippo is so old is one treatment better than another?
If I qt my hippo for 8 weeks and leave my other fish in the tank and they show no signs of ich is ich gone? Sorry to ask so many questions.. Back in Hawaii if I got ich I would just put fish back in the ocean.. Lol

I'll let the pros chime in with the best treatment. Maybe tank transfer would be good and easiest on the older tang as well as all the fish if you are dealing with just ich only. I've always done cupramine and that has always worked for me.

You have to get all of the fish out of the display and leave the display fallow (fishless) for a minimum of 9-10 weeks if I recall correctly. I'm on week 9 and plan on going to 14 weeks or the end of the month just to be safe.

Your whole system has ich, not just one fish. I'd read the ich stickies above, its vital info. You can't really treat ich if you don't understand how it lives and multiplies. FW dips do absolutely nothing for ich. The hippo doesn't have any lasting benefit from previous copper treatments and he's the fish that really needs treating. IME, most tangs handle copper very well.

If the tank has no or very few inverts you MIGHT be able to do hypo for the entire tank.

It depends on what will die during low salinity, whose decay can cause ammonia surge.

One thing good about LR not having any growth but algae is that once the algae is washed away there are few things to decay.

If you can remove most decayable stuffs and you have no or few inverts, you might be able to put the very few inverts in a tank and than hypo the DT.

If you judge that the decay will be massive you need to treat fish in QT.

Or you can use the tank water to wash away decayable stuffs on most LR and put in Qt and then do hypo in QT. Never use tap water to wash mature LR; this may well harm the nitrification bacteria.

In either way may be you can use existing nitrification bacteria to support the fish in hypo.

Actually, hypo is the least likely to be done correctly as any time SG exceeds 1.009 the clock restarts. If you have inverts, hypo will kill them.

Actually, hypo is the least likely to be done correctly as any time SG exceeds 1.009 the clock restarts. If you have inverts, hypo will kill them.

Yes.
I have no proof, but it seems some strains of ich may be able to survive a SG of 1.009. Hypo is just failing for too many people. Not all new hobbyists either. Hypo sounds easy; but I think its very difficult for beginners and they don't catch the little things that must be done perfectly with hypo. There is absolutely no room for error with this method.

Hey guys I have not been able to do much in the last couple of days, just had a new born baby. I might have been soon to freak out about the ich. I took some pics down to Lfs and we both thought it did not look like iCh spots were to big and to few. I got the fish some garlic and seaweed. I did not have the time to qt being wife was in labor so I decided to give it some time spots are gone now and I am going to wait here and see if there is another sign of ich if it raises its ugly head qt it is for sure everyone hypo is just to unsure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 0
Back