Help Build My Tank!

I like it. If I am correct, are those 4x4's on the 4 corners?

I like the design, however, if it were ME, I would use the same principle with this minor change.

Modification 1:
This might be a pain in the A to notch out the 4x4 to hold the 2 support beams.
TankFrame2.jpg

Modification 2:
This is what I did and was easy: Just rest the 2 support beams on top of the 4x4 and put a couples screws angled in.
TankFrame3.jpg

Looking at the length-wise supports that would brace the tank in your design, it seemed that only screws and or brackets would be holding them (and the tank) in place. I really like how you have the short width pieces "notched" into the 4x4", but I would put my money on the long ones to be notched...or look at mod 2 and just have them both resting on top of the 4x4".

Again looking at mod 2, imagine the top platform resting on the four 4x4's. It would take a hell of a lot of something to unmount them and slide the platform off them if that was a concern. Figure 1,000lbs resting on those 4x4's.

Dana

Im 99% sure they have that at the hobby shop on Kadena. I saw someone else had screws drilled in at 45degree angles, so im sure they have a jig there for that.

and DANGIT. that makes 2 of you that know sketch-up.
im gonna have to sneak my laptop to 'work' and play around wiht this more....

Don't feel bad. I have it on my computer at work and haven't even used it yet. I just use autocad instead. It's harder to use if you want to do 3d but for measurements, it's great. One of these days I will figure out how to use sketchup.

IMO I would want the shorter brace to be notched into the posts or run the full length of the 4x4 posts. The long boards in the center are transfering their load to the shorter brace. I vote for Mod 2 or the original. I agree with Dana, all your force is straight down. The brackets and screws are there to secure the boards together and transfer the load. You should have little torque or side force acting on the stand unless you are trying to slide it around.

Thanks, that's why I post these here is to help pound out all the details! Now all I need to do is decide how tall I'm going to make the stand...

Might try to pick up some wood today!

get wood, the metal hobby shop cant be utilized by the average joe which is real retarded.

as for height, from the floor to the bottom of my tank is 41".

Last edited:
IMO, you can go with a lot less wood and still have a stand that will support a car. In actuality, 1x4s have the strength to do the job but added insurance of 2x4s is always nice for piece of mind. Instead of the two 2x4s in the bottom center of the stand, I went with nothing but a plywood sheet. Not much load will be transferred to them anyway. (It is also fiberglass resined to hold water if the sump leaks.) The load is still concentrated on the main 4x4s. For the top, I went with 2x6 laying flat with a 10mm plywood board to ensure the tank is on a flat surface and completely supported. Under the 2x6s I have a 2x4 laying flat and screwed tot he main supports to assist in transferring load and to keep everything level. The design you have will hold a house and over here, wood is big$$$. On a side note, two 2x4s screwed/bolted together is stronger than one 4x4 due to the different grains of the two different boards working together to provide support vice one 4x4 which has the grain together and may have weak spots.

layin flat as in the 4" part is up...or the 2" part is up?
Ive built many homes in my short 24 years life with my dad and grandfather growning up and never did we lay boards flat unless we were doing decking or anything like that. And that wasnt to carry any load, the joices of the floor were for the load, just like how mike has the stand built. the 2" part is up, and not flat 4" part like I think you might have yours.

I have put my fat butt on a flat 2x4 between 2 saw-hoarses and it bowed to the point where I didnt sit on it too many more times.

Jeff...post pics of your stand, im sorta curious now.

Page 2 of my thread has pics. Granted I do have supports in the center. For mikes particular application, since he won't run center supports, running the 2x4s with the 2" part up will provide the support needed under the 2X6s. The 2x4 center boards he has on the top part of the stand are held by screws only and can support minimal weight in the center. Thus the reason I said to go with 2X6s Or even 2X8s laying flat (6" side up or 8") around the entire edge to increase surface area for a top piece of 1/2" plywood. This will provide a flat surface to support every part of the tank and still help transfer the load to the supports without bowing in the center. I'd draw it in sketch up but CAD is so much easier for me. and I don't have that here.

Ok, wow, I just read what I wrote and even now I am confused. Basically look at my stand frame and remove the two center posts. Same idea I was going for or trying to say.

Back