Help identify mystery coral??

brutuscz

I saw a piece of live rock in APC Wallingford today. It had a really nice zoanthid and 3 bright green mushrooms. BUT...I thought I identified an Agaricia!! So, I bought it. Has a nice blue green color. Am I correct?

Their rock is usually collected from Florida, and the agaricia species are from the West Indies. You can ask where it might of come from, but that said, it's hard to see any of the growth pattern from that pic. Additionally, agaricia is a small polyp stony species with unique growth patterns.

Their liverock is loaded with cool stuff. I got some things I have no idea what they are but I like and are growing nice. I also got a couple trachyphyllia as hitch hikers from there, a cool green and red, and one all red. They had one that was about 5 or 6 inches around one day, I almost grabbed it but I was just low on cash.

As for your piece, I don't think it looks like a tunicate. I think it looks more like a chalice that grew around a few feather duster worms.

I was thinking tunicate also...but, don't think it anymore. It has eyes like a leptoseris. It is encrusting...but, at the bottom, it is actually starting to plate. Same as a lepto. Would not surprise me if it was a leptoseris. Don't know where they collect that rock.

I stand corrected I have some from there with some black and gray just like that orange above. Although mine grows less encrusting and more like octopus shaped. I'll see if I can get a better pic.

You might be right...but, I am still saying leptoseris. You cannot see where it is plating at the bottom in the picture. My leptos all have eyes like that. But..if it is a tunicate, it's a cool one. It is teal colored.

Back