Help me decide: Coral Beauty or Flame Angel?

Help me decide: Coral Beauty or Flame Angel?

• Coral Beauty

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Flame Angel

Votes: 36 76.6%

• Total voters

cherubfish pair

I love dwarf angels and by bicolor just died. I narrowed it down to these two. My son leans toward the flame and I the CB because I think they are hardier. I already have a bright red fish, a flame hawkfish in the tank but my son doesn't care.

The tank is 50 gallons with sump and has been established for 3 years.

IMO your tank is a bit on the small size for either, you really need closer to a 70 gal for them. What other fish do you have with it?

While I have a flame, I think the CB is a beautiful fish. Total coin toss. Since your son likes the flame, go with that. Having him engaged with you in the hobby is far more vauable. At the end of your life, 2 red fish won't matter when you are remembering sharing the time with him. (I'm a dad too).

There both beautiful fish and it's also one debate I'm going through (Luckily against myself) I've seen some gorgeous CB Specimens but then again nothing that matches that red in a flame. I might end up adding both myself eventually but then I'm doubling the risk of ending up with a nipper...

I voted for the Flame; but IME a CB is less likely to nip at corals, if you have them.

Ironically, I think a Pygmy Cherub Angel would be ideal for your size tank. ;)

Maybe my son should take a look at a Potters angel too.

-1 ... Potters have a poor survival rate

In my 40 yrs of marine fish keeping, I've never had a tank without a flame angel. I currently have 4 flames and a CB (besides a few other angels) in my 450g tank.

CB in my 60. Awsome fish which is constantly swimming in and out of the rocks. He is king of the tank. Nipped once or twice at coarls but didn't harm them.

I've had both and the CB was great and the FA looked great but after a year of really aggresive behavior towards the other fish he had to go. I somehow managed to catch him and gave him away ) :

Of your two choices I'd go Coral beauty all the way although my choice would be an African flameback (considering similar priced fish).

Here's my Coral Beauty. Never has nipped at my LPS or SPS. I feed algae strips (green & purple mixed), on a clip and devours it.
Was shy at first, now just darts in and out of my LR and loves to people watch:

Last edited:
I vote for Potter's angel!

Centropyge-potteri-2.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=pot...LJLQsQSIjIHYCA&ved=0CLUBEIke&biw=1280&bih=864

add both at the same time! I have a CB that has only eaten a small birds nest and thats it. has not touched any lps or other sps or clam i have.

Flame angel all the way! And as mpderksen said having the kid involved is great. My dad had a fowlr when he was younger so he loves seeing my tank and has basic knowledge of reefs so its great to have someone with an interest in it to share! But besides that flame angels have great color and really stick out. But 30 gallons is really cutting it close

Back