help me design/build a sump..

fdokinawa

In Memoriam
ok.. here is what I got so far. I cut out a piece of cardboard to see what would fit into my stand.. messured my skimmer to see how big of an area I will need. if you have any ideas comments, please feel free to leave them. I dont have a hight for this yet.. need to messure that yet, but I will post that up tomorrow. I'm wanting to build this out of plexi. Jeff says he knows a place that sells it and will probably cut the pieces I need, so I need to get a final draft done by this weekend so I can get the material that I need. Jeff, if you have time this weekend to help me with this let me know, I will also not turn down anyone elses help. :D

sump.jpg

IMO the baffles should be a little farther apart to slow down the venturie effect(gives the bubbles more time to rise and not get sucked over the wall). As for the refugium, swap the return area and the refug around. You'll get all the flow through it. Unless you were gonna pump water in there and have it go back to return. Either way will work. Other than that good plot. Sumps can be made simple or very complex. I like the easy approach, it works great.

I've been using my chiller return line for the fuge.. and also the way my plumbing is set up, the return area has to be in the middle..

Brett, you have seen my sump, its working awsome, I have -0- conplaints. You can come take measurements if you want. I also should add i have never seen any other sumps, so I dont know what could be better. from what I know, mine is working great.

Also, I have weld-on for when you need it.

Bret,
Don't know if I will have a chance this weekend, But I have plenty of time after work next week if you feel like dropping by.

im on days schedule(mon-fri 9-5) for the rest of this week and all of next. where can I get the plexi?? can probably have all the pieces I need cut and mabey me and frank can get together and get it built..

ok.. here is what I got.. I googled all inches to mm and adjusted a tad bit. Jeff told me the acrilyc is 5mm thick, so had to take 10mm off the end pices for overlap.. hope everything fits ok. Let me know what you think..

sump-1.jpg

as for how its going to be set up.. should look something like this.. only thing.. I dont know where to put the skimmer pump. should I put it with the skimmer? or in the return area?

sump2.jpg

Im a little confused with the chiller line. I thought you ran a totally seperate pump/return line for a chiller.

have a 'closed loop' for the chiller.

Wouldnt it be more efficent to run a seperate pump for the chiller? I told Lindsay that I was planning on getting a chiller next summer, and thats how I was planning on running it.

IMO thats too many 't's'

efficent? I have a mag 12 on there.. if I open the T to the tank up fully it overflows the tank.. so in my case its better to have mutiple T's so I dont burn out the pump.

well went to kamahide(think thats the name) to get acrylic and have it cut.. well they have the acrylic, but cant cut it. does anyone know anywhere I can have it cut?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8258010#post8258010 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Donstuprich
you can go to the base hobby shop to cut it

yea, was already sujested by Jeff.. now your talking about the auto hobby shop right? with all the oil and dirt and **** like that right? or you talking about another hobby shop?

and me.. im lazy as ****. If I cant get one place to cut it, im not going to run around all day just to get this stuff cut. Im going to swing by PPM friday with my plans and see if they can do it for around 20,000 yennies.. if its any more than that, not sure what Im going to do.

Most of the fun is doing it yourself! I'd just make goodies if someone was buying it. No time to look at the tank...must make more stuff for it!

Dana

I spent a few hours at the WOOD hobby shop for my sump, loved every minute, they guys there are super cool, and they already have guides for most of the stuff you want to do (like the guide for the router, for the teeth from your fuge area). Have to have a cert to work in the shop though...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8260367#post8260367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jasalmanza
Have to have a cert to work in the shop though...
tried to get that before.. guy didnt show up to give the class.. :( friggen military and there certs for everything. do they have an evening cert class?? Think I went on wednesday last time...

It's the same no matter where you go! I was turned off several years ago when I tried to get my cert. The guy was more interested in working on his own project than acknowledging someone else was in the room.

Sears ships to APO!

Dana

We can go this weekend if you would like Brett. I have all of the certs to work in the wood hobby shop. They have the blades we need as well.

everything we need to cut the plexi is in that shop. bring a cm tape measure, if all of your measurments are in CM.

Back