Help moving a BTA

Capt_Cully

Inherieted some clowns, their anemone died prior. I got them a Green BTA which they hosted. THEN, it split and moved to the otherside of the tank and they won't go over there.

Anyway, one of these BTAs has set up shop in an area that when it opens it blocks the light from three SPS frags. I've tried directing water at it and physically tried to pluck it out but it's in the rock tightly.

I don't understand. The thing moved everyday for three weeks. Now it's in the one spot I don't want it to be and it's been there for two weeks.

Suggestions please!!!

Once they find a place they like, they'll stay put. Usually the water flow will p*** 'em off enough to move. I found that my return nozzles wouldn't move them but an extra powerhead would.

Another trick I've heard of (but not tried) is to hold an ice cube to the foot.

Since you're using MHs you might be able to block the light directly over it to encourage it to go wandering again.

Be glad if it is only shading your corals...my RBTAs have killed two very nice corals and irritated the heck out of a clam.

It was great for a while when my false percs hosted it but now they don't go near it so it's become more of a nuisance. I'm going to TRY to just get it out of there. Especially before there is a single SPS casualty. Thems would be fightin words!

I got a BTA for a pair of clowns and it too split on me ...twice. To make matters worse they were moving around my tank like they had wheels. I tried every trick possible to get them. The easiest solution was to simply remove the rock they landed on. After that I suspended them upside down over a tupperware dish of tank water, with their tentacles just touching the water. They dropped right in in the dish with no other help from me. Good luck.

Tried the ice cube. The anemone recoiled into it's rock-hold, but it was so tightly in the rock, I was able to get a surgical clamp in behind and under its foot. A few seconds of prying and it popped out like a cork. I'm not sure it was completely unharmed. It's recovering in the sump. I had to do it. It was killing three different frags. Besides, its twin is still alive and well and out of harms way. I'm confident the other will recover fine. Long enough to go back to the LFS. Thanks for the advice all.

Back