Help on choosing/setting up a Calcium Reactor

Pumped

Currently I going through about 5 gallons each of BRS Pharama grade 2 part every month. I am interested in running a calcium reactor.

Last month I tried a Geo612 reactor, 5lb Co2 tank, with electronic plants regulator and a feed pump with needle valve for effluent. I used a very fast effluent stream and a ph of 6.7 in the reactor with a small secondary chamber with additional aragonite and Mg.

My tank normally runs Ph 7.7-7.9 which I am okay with, however with the previous reactor setup I was at 7.4-7.5 and did see a few corals lose tissue. So I switched the two part back on and turned off the reactor.

Will running a much larger reactor with two large chambers and perstaltic pump alleviate ph suppression?

Thanks!

Maybe you need ti have a slower release of CO2 in the reactor so the effluent does not impact much the pH of the tank if that’s the case and regulate/dial back the effluent rate as well so the second chamber can do a better job in bringing up the pH as it is intended?

The problem was the effluent when slowed down would not stay at a consistent speed, so I used a stream which would stay consistent.

With a peristaltic pump I would not have this issue right?

Also, with a bigger reactor I would be able to meet my tank's demand with less effluent but higher alkalinity per drop?

Try running the effluent into another cup with a airstone, aerating the effluent will gas off more of the CO2. It's same effect as running the second chamber. I have a cup in my sump where it overflows into the sump. Faster effluent rates will reduce clogging. IME 100 CC per min is pretty maintainable

The problem was the effluent when slowed down would not stay at a consistent speed, so I used a stream which would stay consistent.

With a peristaltic pump I would not have this issue right?

Also, with a bigger reactor I would be able to meet my tank's demand with less effluent but higher alkalinity per drop?

The peristaltic pump should fix that issue; I think that reactor should be good enough.

So I got the Kamoer pump and that has helped a lot!

I switched to a CR220 Calcium reactor and will be setting up later this week SMC618 for second chamber. Probably just fill that with Reborn/Remag as well.

I haven't had to mess with my setup for a while now and happy with the results. It's driving my ph down still so I added CO2 scrubber which helps.

Back