Help please. Someone ID this stuff on my new tank sand

92reefer

After being out of the hobby for several years I finally jumped back in.

Setup a Frag 105.4 (4' long, 16" deep, 23" wide).

I added CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji pink sand Marco Rock dry rock, seeded with Bio-Spira on startup.

After about 2 weeks I started adding Microbacter7 (new tank directions; 4 caps for 100g once daily for 2 weeks) I will finish the new tank startup doses in 3 days. I added 4 yellow tail damsels when I started the Microbacter7 for bioload and feeding small amounts of Formula 1 flake.

Lighting is 2 AI Primes set for 7 hour photo period, levels: all blues at 38% / UV 38%, V 38%, RY 38%, B 38%, G 3%, DR 3%, CW 6%. I kept the light levels low since tank is new and definitely don't want to fuel algae etc.

Skimmer is installed (Bubble Magus Curve 5) but I have not turned it on as of yet since I was trying to allow the bacteria to grab hold and grow.

I just noticed this evening that there are patches of white cloudy whisps growing in several spots on my sand. Please tell me this is not Dynos!!! I had a nasty battle with my last tank (60G cube) and I specifically added a variety of bacteria (live sand, Bio-Spira and Microbacter7) to diversify and out compete the bad stuff like algae and dynos.

ID this please and advice on what to do right now?

Attachments

• Fuzzy white stuff 1.jpg
    Fuzzy white stuff 1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Fuzzy white stuff 2.jpg
    Fuzzy white stuff 2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 5
Think you are fine, looks like a mild case of bacteria overload sliming on the substrate like cyano does, id stop adding any additional bacteria, bet it will clear up & id start using the skimmer would help the tank by aerating it raising oxy lvls. and get it broken it & tweaked :)

Think you are fine, looks like a mild case of bacteria overload sliming on the substrate like cyano does, id stop adding any additional bacteria, bet it will clear up & id start using the skimmer would help the tank by aerating it raising oxy lvls. and get it broken it & tweaked :)

Oh man thanks so much and I hope you are right. I had 3 days left of the new-tank Microbacter dosing so I will stop that today.

Firing up the skimmer. Fingers crossed! :)

It's hard to get a good picture with my iPhone.

Here's another attempt with 2 more pictures

Attachments

• Fuzzy white stuff 3.jpg
    Fuzzy white stuff 3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Fuzzy white stuff 4.jpg
    Fuzzy white stuff 4.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 3
Today I used a turkey baster to suction out about 7 small patches (about 1" each) of the white hairy stuff in the tank.

I'm debating about purchasing some Microbacter Clean or Vibrant per BRS recommendation on starting a new tank. Video states to add after initial cycle to keep aquarium clean and free from unwanted algae etc. while keeping the lights out for 4 months. Not sure about keeping lights off that long? I know my damsels won't wake up and come out to eat if I leave the lights off indefinitely. I've been turning the lights on for about an hour, and shut them down after the fish have eaten.

Advice, suggestions or anyone have any luck with BRS recommendation of adding the Microbacter Clean or Vibrant right away as a deterrant?

Back