Help with Chaeto

JurisHP

My tank is 14 years old....I have always had high Nitrate and Phosphate issues, and have tried everything. I am now back to a refugium, and to that end am using my center compartment in the sump, lighted by a Kessil H160 Tuna Flora. I bought a baseball size (2 of them) bunch of Chaeto and now, a few weeks later, it has practically disappeared, and my Nitrates and Phosphates are as high as always.

I am running the light on the Grow setting at almost max intensity, for 16 hours/day.

A new batch of Chaeto is arriving today.

Any suggestions as to how to get it to grow and not die off so fast?

kfisc

What worked for me was ensuring a significant amount of flow over the clump; it seemed to help if it was actually tumbling around. With a sump, I also found 24 hour lighting over the chaeto helped, as well as eventually moving to a reverse lighting cycle, i.e. lighting the chaeto at night. Vexing problem! Good luck-

Michael Hoaster

Registered Seaweedist
Premium Member
Trace elements can get used up quickly in closed systems. The most important one is Iron. You might try adding an iron supplement. Chaeto is a high light, high nutrient-needing macro algae. You might try something that's not so greedy, like a red Gracilaria. It might match up better to your system parameters. Or try others. Lot's of cool macros out there to try.