Help with ID of Two Anemones

nogascans

I need some help IDing a pair of anemones purchased recently from LFS. I beleive the one labled Anemome left is a Heteractis crispa, but I am unsure on the one labled Anemone right (possibly a Stichodactyla ??)

The anemone left has settled in nicely between base rock and substrate. The anemone right has moved a few times in last days, from sand dugout to base rock to opper live rock. I have not fed either as yet.

Aquarium as follows:
75 gallon Bowfront
Lighting- 6 bulb T5 with 3 actinic and 3 12K.
PH 8.2
Salinity 1.024
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitite 0 ppm
Nitrate 3 ppm

Sincerely,

David

Forgot Pictures

Forgot Pictures

Sorry, I forgot pictures

Attachments

• Anemone left.jpg
    Anemone left.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Anemone right.jpg
    Anemone right.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
The one on the left looks like a sabea anemone and I'm leaning towards another sabea for the one on the right but not 100% sure

Forgot to mention, they look like they're losing a bit of color. Your lighting seems ok, could use another two bulbs but I would suggest feeding them

The first definitely looks like a bleached crispa anemone. The 2nd anemone is difficult to id from the pic, but if I had to guess, stichodactyla helianthus would be top of the list.

I agree that the second is a S. helianthus (Atlantic carpet anemone). You should remove it from your aquarium and return it. The first can either a H. crispa or H. malu

More PICS

More PICS

Thanks to all for help. I have two more pics of anemone in question (right).
Is this a bad one to keep? I figure if it is atlantic, then its not a candidate for clowns, but is it bad for tank?

Sincerely,
David

Attachments

• 20120902_155257 (640x480).jpg
    20120902_155257 (640x480).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20120902_155243 (480x640).jpg
    20120902_155243 (480x640).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 0
I think the first looks like a sebae as well. The second could be a BTA?? I'm not good with the scientific names....

It is a very aggressive fish eater including clowns. I have never keep one but heard from several people that their clowns got eaten by Atlantic carpet.

Receipt

Receipt

I went back and found the sals receipt. The one in question is labeled as a white carpet anemone (stichodactyla sp.

Return it?

Return it?

So I gather the consensus is return it? Correct? I really appreciate the help on this.

Sincerely,
David

So I gather the consensus is return it? Correct? I really appreciate the help on this.

Sincerely,
David

Yes, you should return it. It is not really a candidate for a tank with fish in it. It is absolutely Stichodactyla helianthus.

Update

Update

Well, the LFS would not take back the one anemone, and I have made the decision to keep it or now with low fish population. I cant see destroying it. It has settled nicely into rock and color wise it tan on foot, greenish tentacles and mouth, with pink tips on tentacles.
The sebae has also settled in nicely, and the bleaching has been replaced by a slow change in color to yellow and tan tentacles, with nice purple tips. I have been feeding shrimp to each twice a week.
Thanks for feedback.
David

Pics

Pics

Worm, I haven't had time with 2 kids playing jv and varsity football (practice and games) I'll try to update tonight. All I can say is they both look good and happy

hahaha.... I understand.. I have 4 boys... 10 17 18 and 18... I'll trade you! (Please do not moderate this we are not trying to trade TANK inhabitants) (hahahaha)

Updated Pic's

Updated Pic's

Worm,

here are a few picture of carpet and sebae anemones. I have also included a front view for reference to postion. Just picked up a few frags yesterday. I'd appreciate it if you had any feedback on current postions of corals.

I had a jumper last night, and the yellow headed jawfish is no more. I don't use a cover (althought aquarum does have top trim panels) Would you suggest a cover? I've seen some people use some egg crate from HD or Lowes, but I was wondering how it affects lighting. I guess I'll have to make a trip to LFS for something else. With the two small perculas, am I understanding correctly that it would be unwise to add any more clowns, say a pair of small pink skunks?

Off to football in a few. e have a big cross-county rivalry tonight. If you have boys playing, good luck and may they be safe.

David

Attachments

• DSC04028.jpg
    DSC04028.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC04029.jpg
    DSC04029.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC04047.jpg
    DSC04047.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC04048.jpg
    DSC04048.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0
Taped on picture, upper left

Taped on picture, upper left

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, the paper taped on glass is a picture of a pair of perculas in a sebae anemone. Trying what I read to see if I can get the 2 clowns to host.

Sincerely,
David

Plenty of threads on building a DIY mesh top, much better than eggcrate. Eggcrate messes with light as it is actually a light difuser panel. We have some Petcos here that sell Helianthus anemones labled as stichodactyla spp. all the time. Everytime I see one I shake my head. I've seen some clowns associate with them, but just like elephant ear, they tend to turn on the animal they're hosting.

Back