help with identification

marcus01

IMGP0642.jpg

i recently bought some cheto for my refugium from my lfs, the next day i noticed a small version of this. over the space of two weeks its tripled in size and has moved from the algae and is now living in the rocks

I remember when I first stated the hobby I got a few of those on my live rock and I was all excited, then I found out what they were and was not so excited anymore

those thing can be a nightmare if you dont remove it completely
if you leave any behind it will regrow. They sting corals

thanks, it was attach to a small bit of live rock so i removed it along with the rock and trashed the lot. And yes when i found it i was excited and now im justed ****ed with my lfs for selling me it in with the cheto.......

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9474603#post9474603 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marcus01
now im justed ****ed with my lfs for selling me it in with the cheto.......

Too bad you trashed it. You should have taken it back to the store and demanded store credit for your lucky find. :lol:

Or you could have injected it with some Joe's juice. I also use lemon juice injected into the stem and it works pretty good.

peppermint shrimp have always worked well for my aiptasia problems. Just make sure you get a pep and not a camelback.

Unless the store charged you extra for it, I wouldn't be so mad at them. 9 out of 10 times, the algea they sell came from another hobbiest as a trade-in for credit. I worked at a LFS for 3 years, I saw my share.

While we did our best to screen it, those little buggers can manage to get in there..

And yes, its definately an aiptasia, smart move removing it.

I actually heard of an LFS once that grew an uber size Aiptasia by feeding it, and, then, sold it to some poor, unsuspecting customer as a "giant anemone."

I've used Joe's Juice like 5 different times and it has worked great. Although everyone else I talk to says it doesn't work. I guess it's just hit and miss.

I have it in my sump , they are great at remove excess crap in the water. I also have a copper band in my display so none grow in there . Look in Calfos coral progation book he talks about having a takn just with it in there .

Back