Help with new skimmer

kilroy217

So, I've been chasing a hair algae problem for several months now, and have come to the conclusion that my skimmer wasn't large enough. So, I ventured to buy a new, larger skimmer. Installed and it started up like a champ. Only problem is that I'm getting an overwhelming amount of billowy white foam. It overflows the collection cup in about 10 seconds. Is this normal/expected? What can I do to get it to operate as I'm expecting? I already have the outlet valve as open as is possible, and there are no speed controls on the pump or anything like that. See photo below for example of instant foaming:

20161225_172307.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

Do you have a controller to dial it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, the only adjustment is the physical placement in the sump and the outlet valve previously mentioned. I have the height in the sump in the exact middle of the recommended range by the manufacturer.

thanks.

Likely needs to break in

That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. this is the first time I'm installing a new skimmer in an existing tank. should I just let the skimmer run and let the foam overflow back into the sump while it's breaking in?

thanks!

I have a simular skimmer,except one size smaller(SRO 3000ext.),and an older model I think.You didn't mention what type of external pump you are using,or how many gallons per hour you are feeding through your skimmer.I am using a Mag7 with a ball valve on mine,to adjust feed rate and help dial in the right water/foam mix.
Perhaps yours uses a different set up other than the external,skimmer,(I can only see the top half of the photo,for some reason)but if it's simular then this would be helpful,to match up the skimmer with a good feed pump with the appropriate gph output.
BTW,I agree that if you've only set it up 72 hours or so ago,your issue ,will resolve itself....

Last edited:
I have a simular skimmer,except one size smaller(SRO 3000ext.),and an older model I think.You didn't mention what type of external pump you are using,or how many gallons per hour you are feeding through your skimmer.I am using a Mag7 with a ball valve on mine,to adjust feed rate and help dial in the right water/foam mix.
Perhaps yours uses a different set up other than the external,skimmer,(I can only see the top half of the photo,for some reason)but if it's simular then this would be helpful,to match up the skimmer with a good feed pump with the appropriate gph output.
BTW,I agree that if you've only set it up 72 hours or so ago,your issue ,will resolve itself....

It's an internal sump, so there is no feed pump necessary. The water just goes into the skimmer from the sump through the inlet pipe. The skimmer pump is the one that comes with the device - the Bubble Blaster 5000 pinwheel pump, rated for 480 GPH.

let it run a few days with either the cup drain open , if it doesn't have a drain on the cup just run it without the cup till it breaks in... You could pull it out an give it a vinegar bath to speed up the process.

Back