Help with return pump

jjat80

Hi, my new project is a 265 gallon tank with sump in the basement, so i need a return pump that gives 26500 gallons at 18 feet... I only know abyzz pumps in this ranks...
Do you know any other pump that i can use?

There are pool pumps but I question your need that much circulation.

IMO, return pumps should be sized for the minimum flow needed to feed fresh water to the skimmer, fuge and various other sump contraptions.

There are a few reasons:

1) Return flow is extremely expensive. For the GPH your are expending a lot in heat, pump cost and electricity costs

2) Safety, in the case of a power outage, the higher the flow rate, the more sump capacity you will need to contain the leak down and if you think you can count on a check valve, I have a bridge to sell you. Great price too!

There are pool pumps but I question your need that much circulation.

IMO, return pumps should be sized for the minimum flow needed to feed fresh water to the skimmer, fuge and various other sump contraptions.

There are a few reasons:

1) Return flow is extremely expensive. For the GPH your are expending a lot in heat, pump cost and electricity costs

2) Safety, in the case of a power outage, the higher the flow rate, the more sump capacity you will need to contain the leak down and if you think you can count on a check valve, I have a bridge to sell you. Great price too!

I read, and some people told me that return pump must give 8-10 times your tank volume, but i'm not a much experienced reefer...
Of course i prefer cheaper options and lower electricity costs..
My skimmer is nyos quantum 300, wich flow recommend you for my tank and installation? Any pump recommended?

If you don't need it to be particularly quiet, reeflo pumps are great. I have a 260 gallon display with a basement sump at the other end of the house. I run a reeflo hammerhead gold and get around 1800 gph.

You don't need that much flow through it - I just wanted to avoid power heads in the tank, so I'm getting a lot of flow from my return (plus 2 closed loops).

If you need your return to be quiet, Abyzz is the only one I know of that can handle that head. I think there's another manufacturer, MRC?, that makes similar pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read, and some people told me that return pump must give 8-10 times your tank volume, but i'm not a much experienced reefer...
Of course i prefer cheaper options and lower electricity costs..
My skimmer is nyos quantum 300, wich flow recommend you for my tank and installation? Any pump recommended?

My tank is pretty dang successful it's 225 gal and I'm running an M1 Vectra at about 50% which is about 1,000 GPH less loss from 4' of head.

I'd actually run it slower but I've tuned it for quietest operation given my plumbing

So, I'm at 4X flow but I'd be fine with 3X

I also run 3X 6105 in a gyre setup so I'm well over 10,000 GPH flow in tank circulation. About 50X. I like sticks.

I think BRS has a video on return pumps and flow through sump. I think you only need 3-4x per hour to make sure it's heated and runs through your skimmer.

Are you planning to keep FOWLR, softies, mixed, sps? What are your flow goals? Are you going to have other powerheads for flow?

Thanks to all of you
Cpeguero83 i want a sps dominated tank, for the movement in the tank i have one vortech mp40 and one mp60

Ok. You'll have to see how flow works on the tank - you may need more than those vortechs.

As far as your return, since it's in the basement, I'm assuming noise isn't an issue. Go with an ac pump (reeflo, mrc) that can handle the head and get you 3-4x turnover per hour. The cost difference between ac and an Abyzz is way more than any electrical savings over the life of the pump.

I know that this is old post but I am wondering what did you buy?
I have Hammerhead Reeflo in my basement right below my tank, and you can hear it standing by my tank in the Livingroom, so I would recommend to stay away from it. This is my third pump and after 1 year or so they start leaking (at least in my experience). I just posted new thread for recommendations, but my tank is 600 gal with around 15-20 feet, so I need something quiet powerful. Will see.

Perhaps look at Abyzz pumps? Pricey and I have no experience with them but I know @o2manyfish has one of their wave makers.

Also not sure what return @JCOLE is running. He may have suggestions as well

Both of them have large tanks.

Back