High Magnesium

TheAviator

Hello everyone. Sorry for my basic sounding questions. Ive never had a reef tank before and this is a pretty steep learning curve. But its fun learning!
I have a recently new 80gallon tank, about 6 months. Ive cycled and added my first chromis. I originally had 5 snails as well. All the snails died within a few days of adding to the tank. After doing some research, I've discovered high magnesium could be the cause. I tested for magnesium and sure enough, it tops the scale on the salifert magnesium test kit. So now ive tried to figure out where the magnesium is coming from. I tested my RODO water, 0 magnesium. Then I mixed fresh RODI water with FRITZ Pro Reef Pro Mix. I tested the fresh water, and again well over 1500ppm on the magnesium. Probably closer to 2000ppm if I had to guess. So my only guess at this point is, its coming from the salt. Has anyone had these same results with Fritz salt? Other than snails, is there a problem with being this high in magnesium? And finally, how do i lower this magnesium? Again, thank you all so much. This has been a steep learning curve and my wife is losing faith! With your help I think I can do this!

Change your salt mix.
Parameters for major elements should be listed on the container.
If the test exceeds the limits of 1 syringe use another & add up the total.

Mix up dry salt mix a bit to ensure MG and others have not settled.
Then test your MG.

Make sure you draw the reagent past the 1ml line, then slowly depress to the 1 ml line.

May be testing error, yes high mag can slow snails, but is rare.

Snails must be slowly acclimatized, or they die.

So I mixed up the bag pretty good before I put it in the water. The bag does say enhanced magnesium. Maybe they mean it! What salt do you all recommend with a little more consistency?

Back