High Nutrient Macro Algae/Sea Grass Reef

I haven't made a video in a while but this short one shows how active my tank is. The fish are a little 'hangry' however and I should have fed them first. Mostly its just Tommy who is behaving badly.

We don't have to imagine anymore what the tank will look like with the new light. It came last evening so I charged the remote control over night, added the legs and set it on the tank this morning. I am pleased that it is a pretty low profile fixture.

Ryan from BRS said in a video review that it looks a little like a spider and that's kind of true. I don't plan to use the legs long term however. They are on now to help me determine the optimal height and when I decide then I will hang it. I expect that I will hang it at 12-14 inches from the water surface which is it's optimal efficient height. That height will be great for working in the tank. The main drawback might be overspill light distracting when we are sitting on the sofa below the light height. Since it's LED and more pointed light, it may not be too bad. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I have not tried to program a light schedule yet but it looks doable, even by me, ha ha. I will let you all know.

Attachments

• IMG_20220211_095847698.jpg
    IMG_20220211_095847698.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220211_141858069.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.94 MB ID:	32365640 filedata/fetch?id=32365639&d=1644608338 ​​​This is full sun mode. A bit more disco ball effect than I would like but I bet a dual high output T5 laying on the top of the tank would flatten out the shimmer to just right. The bottom line is I am very satisfied with this light. For the price it is a good value.

Now to attempt to program it, LOL!

Dawn!!!!!! Wow, your tank is really a work of art. I'm glad that Guardian is OK. And, Angelica is stunning. Charlie Brown is so fun to watch. And all of your fish together provide you with a nice mix of color, activity and personality. Seriously, I watched your video about 10 times! I can't wait to see a vid with the new light.

Dawn!!!!!! Wow, your tank is really a work of art. I'm glad that Guardian is OK. And, Angelica is stunning. Charlie Brown is so fun to watch. And all of your fish together provide you with a nice mix of color, activity and personality. Seriously, I watched your video about 10 times! I can't wait to see a vid with the new light.

Thank you Kevin, that is so kind of you to say such nice things about my tank. I am really liking this assortment of fish and you described them well. I enjoy watching them immensely. I am excited about this new LED light. The shimmer is a bit too much so I ordered a 24" 2 bulb T5 fixture. It should reduce the shimmer to just right.

Dawn,
If you think it's too bright it can be adjusted. I found the "color" I liked in the tank & reduced it in percentages to maintain it with lower lighting.

Thanks Vinny. That pic was taken on the default custom setting because I still could not quite navigate the remote. After watching ReefBreeder's video several more times I finally figured it out and set up my own custom light schedule. Since the fixture I replaced was a T5 High Output quad, I believe that my coral can take a fair amount of light. I have it so that the light ramps up and at 3 pm my light schedule peaks at 40% in the blues and whites. Then it ramps back down til 9 ish. My photo phase is a bit longer than the T5 we're so I may need to adjust the morning to start later. I guess it will be trial and error for a while.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220212_112856316.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.79 MB ID:	32365735 I love the clean low profile look of this fixture hung. Of course my net cover where it goes over the HOB overbox now looks messy, LOL. It's to stop fish from jumping but maybe I can cut the portion over the overflow box.
This is at 15%, which is crazy how much this ReefBreeder must be capable of. You can see how high it is hung too. Amazing!

Last edited:
24 hours after setting my light schedule and a little tweaking, this light is amazing. I did not realize how nice having a gentle, constant increase and decrease of light intensity is. Last night the fish seem to settle into a calmer state with each other. Maybe it was coincidence, but maybe it's not. Maybe 5 hours of full intensity overstimulated the fish and made them edgy? And 6 hours in the morning with moonlight LEDs is not as good as a slow ramping up simulating pre- dawn, sunrise, mid-morning and pre-noon light. The ability to tweak the color is really cool too. I am blown away by how much I like this light.

Me too, Jesse. I felt like I had no idea how to choose an LED fixture. Watching BRS videos on LED lighting was very informative and really helped me wade through the options.

I'm glad you found something you like Dawn. Were there other lights you were considering or were these the clear choice? The programmability sounds very cool. You got the Reef Breeders, right? I just put the Reef Nano by Reef Breeders on my nano tank.

Attachments

• photo411806.jpg
    photo411806.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Back