High Nutrient Macro Algae/Sea Grass Reef

Several months ago I had noticed that my return nozzle was leaking water, (near where the hose clamp was). That required me ordering a new return nozzle from BRS. I wasn't sure how long it would take to get it, so I decided to try a quick dirty fix with JB water weld. To my amazement that worked, LOL
My return nozzle came a few days later but now I was reluctant to put it on when the water weld patch was working. So I just let it go. Of course the water weld patch got brittle over time and a small piece broke off a few days ago allowing a tiny seepage of moisture, evidenced by the salt creep around the hose clamp and down the flex tubing.

Today I decided I better fix it before the small seepage turned into something bigger. Like almost any 'what should be simple' job, this one turned out to be more complicated than expected. The return nozzle's barbed end was so tightly embedded in the flexible tubing that I couldn't get it out. Then unfortunately I accidently broke the nozzle off right near the barbed end, Uhhg! There was enough of a piece to grab onto with channel locks but I didn't have the strength to pull the barbed end out of the flex tubing. Fortunately, my days as an aquarium tech taught me to heat the flex tubing, both to expand it and soften it. I boiled some water and submerged the tubing in the hot water. That actually worked which I was very grateful. I did not want to have to buy more flex tubing. So everything is back up and running and all is well in my aquarium world!

Here is the finished job along with the old return nozzle!
IMG_20220224_135541948.jpg
IMG_20220224_140253326.jpg

I know enough to heat tubing when putting things together but never thought about using it to remove things. I'll have to tuck that away for next time.

I know enough to heat tubing when putting things together but never thought about using it to remove things. I'll have to tuck that away for next time.

Back in the day when I was doing aquarium tech, there were more tanks soft plumbed and the heating the tubing trick was often used to put on barbed ends and removing from barbed ends. It works pretty well.

Today after doing a series of water changes I decided to test my water for phosphates and nitrates. My phosphates are .5 ppm and my nitrates are 25 ppm. In the past I let this be acceptable since I run a high nutrient system but I may move to lower both values a bit and try a high input (heavy feeding) and heavy export( more water changes) and just see how this impacts my reef. It costs a bit more in salt but my water change system is easy so not a difficult transition.

Today after doing a series of water changes I decided to test my water for phosphates and nitrates. My phosphates are .5 ppm and my nitrates are 25 ppm. In the past I let this be acceptable since I run a high nutrient system but I may move to lower both values a bit and try a high input (heavy feeding) and heavy export( more water changes) and just see how this impacts my reef. It costs a bit more in salt but my water change system is easy so not a difficult transition.

While increasing water change would increase exports, so would increasing intensity & duration of light in macro refugium coupled with more export of macro algae.

While increasing water change would increase exports, so would increasing intensity & duration of light in macro refugium coupled with more export of macro algae.
Thats a good suggestion Patrick but the light on my fuge is a HOT5 fixture so its not possible to increase intensity and the light has been lowered as far as I can lower it on the refugium. I have the lights on 12 hours so I doubt that I have any other options to increase growth of the macro algae there. Fortunately my water change system is really easy with no carrying or lifting water. I guess the biggest drawback is the cost of salt but I use instant ocean so thats not too bad either.

Thats a good suggestion Patrick but the light on my fuge is a HOT5 fixture so its not possible to increase intensity and the light has been lowered as far as I can lower it on the refugium. I have the lights on 12 hours so I doubt that I have any other options to increase growth of the macro algae there. Fortunately my water change system is really easy with no carrying or lifting water. I guess the biggest drawback is the cost of salt but I use instant ocean so thats not too bad either.
Why limit macro refugium to 12 hours of lighting? I run mine at 16 hours, some run 24/7.

I have it on an opposite photophase as my display so the PH doesn't swing so much.

I don’t know exactly when, but once the SPS rage came in, pH stability and elevated pH suited the high calcification rates that reefers were pushing for. The normal pH swings on a healthy IndoPacific reef are 8.3 - 7.8

https://journals.biologists.com/bio...l-calcification-under-daily-oxygen-saturation
ABSTRACT

Coral reefs are essential to many nations, and are currently in global decline. Although climate models predict decreases in seawater pH (∼0.3 units) and oxygen saturation (∼5 percentage points), these are exceeded by the current daily pH and oxygen fluctuations on many reefs (pH 7.8–8.7 and 27–241% O[SUB]2[/SUB]saturation). We investigated the effect of oxygen and pH fluctuations on coral calcification in the laboratory using the model species Acropora millepora. Light calcification rates were greatly enhanced (+178%) by increased seawater pH, but only at normoxia; hyperoxia completely negated this positive effect. Dark calcification rates were significantly inhibited (51–75%) at hypoxia, whereas pH had no effect. Our preliminary results suggest that within the current oxygen and pH range, oxygen has substantial control over coral growth, whereas the role of pH is limited. This has implications for reef formation in this era of rapid climate change, which is accompanied by a decrease in seawater oxygen saturation owing to higher water temperatures and coastal eutrophication.

Last edited:
Most of what you said was over my head Patrick, but I think some of what you are saying is that PH fluctuation in our reef tanks is more forgiving than we are giving it credit, especially in a softie dominated reef like mine. I believe that to be true as I never used to even have a refugium to offset the PH swing. I think I got that oxygen plays a bigger part than PH in coral growth too, but like I said, my grasp of the biology and chemistry of the ocean is limited.

At any rate, my aquariums and their inhabitants seem to be responding positively to the added water changes. Although it's hard to discern whether it's the water changes or the new ReefBreeder Photon LED lighting that has everything looking better in the display. The Coral and macro algae are doing very well, especially the BTAs. Whatever it is, I am pleased.

Dawn,
You are a jewel. You reef the same way I do. The best thing I assimilated from you is operate systems at lower temperatures to favor algae over bacteria. The easiest systems that I have operated are low light & low temperature. ​​​​​​

Ha ha, I learned that coral would still grow in lower temperatures mostly by accident . My seahorses needed those lower temps to be protected against vibrio and other pathogenic bacteria. Since the ponies were the priority, the Coral and macro algae had to survive as best they could. It was a pleasant surprise to me that they did not just survive but actually thrived! I guess a lot of knowledge can be gained through happy accidents. :spin3:

I have some pretty healthy codium growing in the sump so today I grabbed a sturdy spring and zip tied it to a small piece of rubble rock. I want to see how it will do in the display under the LEDs. I have tried different green macro algae in the past (under T5s) and have not had much success except feather caulerpa. Tommy the tomini tang would probably not give that a chance, but I do not really want feather caulerpa in the display anyway due to its invasive nature. It would be really great if the codium would thrive in the display.

Yesterday as I was helping my older aunt by driving her to her H&R Block tax consultant, I visited a lfs nearby while she and the consultant talked taxes It's the same store that Tommy came from and they had a lot of beautiful coral! I bought this green tree leather, (nephthea or sinularia, they look the same to me). I had great luck years ago with these so I am hoping this one will thrive. There were some unique yellow palys too but I did not want to spend more money so used self control in regards to them.
IMG_20220310_131736008.jpg

This pic from the end of the tank shows the new green BTA, along with the rainbow BTAs. You can also the Codium and the new green tree coral. I am happy with how this tank is progressing. I suspect that I am going to need to feed heavy to meet the needs of these new coral.
IMG_20220310_132817479.jpg

I needed to contact ReefBreeders because my new Photon 24- V2+ has developed a glitch. It turns off momentarily and then flashes white a second or two and then turns back on and resumes lighting. I would only see it do it once about 3 days ago but yesterday it did it 3 Xs. That's somewhat disturbing. I will let you all know what they say.

Oh man, I feel stupid. ReefBreeder's got back to me right away. It turns out that while I was tweaking the color intensities, I must have accidently turned on the lightening mode. Go figure! Anyway ReefBreeder's told me how to turn it off so it should be good now. Kudos for ReefBreeder's getting back to me so quickly and helping me remedy the situation. This is what happens when you put tech in the hands of a grandmother! :bounce3:

Back