High Nutrient Macro Algae/Sea Grass Reef

The purple whip gorgonian opened up today so I am pleased about that. I figured that it would but it's always good to see it happen. All the other coral never missed a beat.

It's nice to have the tank cleaner but I still need to syphon out detritus both in the display and the sump. When I had the 20 gallon long plumbed into the system a lot of the detritus settled in that tank but now more of it settles on the sand of the refugium. It's hard to know in my high nutrient system how much detritus is too much. I guess definitely if coral began to decline that would be my first thought as to the reason why. As things stand now however the coral are all pretty much flourishing. Still, I don't think it would hurt the reef to remove the detritus that is easily accessed so that is the plan.

I finally got around to syphoning a lot of the detritus out of the display and sump, at least what was on the rock work. It wasn't as bad as I thought that it was going to be. Of course with macro algae that kind of sucks everything into it's fronds, it's hard to get the tank sparkling. I just run the syphon hose over the macros and suck out what is most easily shaken loose. Still, the system is cleaner than it was so I am happy.

The trumpets seem to have really appreciated the removal of the detritus. They are puffed up like I have never seen them before!

Attachments

• IMG_20221012_154457428.jpg
    IMG_20221012_154457428.jpg
    775.5 KB · Views: 12
Since I have been spending more time on my display tank, I have been feeling an itch to get something new. I don't really have room for more fish unless it would be a group of masked gobies or other small fish. So I have been watching Gulf coast ecosystems for perhaps some nice macro algae additions. Yesterday they added some new things that had previously been unavailable. So here is what is coming next week:

Green macro algae; 1. Caulerpa Cupressoides, this is an upright rigid variety that is less invasive. I have never tried this specie so am anxious to give it a go. 2. Halimeda opuntia, a hardy specie of halimeda that will grow on sand or live rock.
Red macro algae; 3. Coraline fine, a soft branching coraline algae that varies in color from lavender to deep purple.
Brown macro algae; 4. Lobophora, a seasonal macro that has ruffled rigid petals fanning out from a single holdfast. I have never tried this macro either. 5. Red finger sponge.
Gorgonians; 6. Purple Ribbon gorg, an angular upright gorg that is deep purple in color with tan polyps. 7. Corky finger, an encrusting gorg with purple skin and tan polyps. I took care of a customers tank with corky finger but have never had any myself.

My tank already has established colonies of coral and these new additions should really give my tank a mature look.

Here is a pic as the tank stands today. Hopefully the new additions will spruce it up a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20221019_155019101.jpg
    IMG_20221019_155019101.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
Well something really strange and tragic happened to my display this weekend. I noticed on Friday evening that the 3 damsels didn't look good. By Saturday evening they had all died. Now Sunday evening I am not too sure that the ocellaris clown is ok nor the yellow watchman goby. Both of them have clamped fins. So far the tomini tang, the coral beauty and the barnacle blenny seem ok. None of the coral seem affected except the colt coral which was the very first thing to die on Thursday. I do not know if it dying is related to the fish or not. I have not added anything to the tank. I only moved a few coral last week to get ready for the macro algae order coming this week. I am sad and perplexed. I will keep you updated.

OMG Dawn, so sorry. From experience, have you calibrated your refractometer recently? I was having all kinds of trouble with my tank and after calibrating the refracto, learned I was running on very low salinity for a while.

So, sorry for your losses.

Dawn, many moons ago, we moved to a new house and I had my livestock in a 300g stock tank. Over Father’s Day weekend, the circuit tripped and I ended up filling a 40 gallon trash can with acro skeletons. One was a green skimmer that was 2x the size of a Basketball. Stay strong and rebuild my friend.

OMG Dawn, so sorry. From experience, have you calibrated your refractometer recently? I was having all kinds of trouble with my tank and after calibrating the refracto, learned I was running on very low salinity for a while.

So, sorry for your losses.
Thanks for the condolences griss. It's hard for me to lose fish because I typically have them a long time and I get attached. I have had a marine tank since the late 90s and although this is sad, it will not discourage me to the point of taking my tank down.
I do not believe that it is a salinity issue because I would expect my macro algae, coral and inverts (shrimp, snails and crabs) to react. All of them except the colt coral are just fine. Also I use 2 swing arm hydrometers to adjust my salinity and they both were reading what they always read. I occasionally calibrate them with the water at a lfs to double check them.

One thing I did that I have never done before is set the rock that the colt coral was attached to on top of some of my invasive palys. My thought was that the palys would slowly shrink away (due to lack of light) but now I wonder if they gave off a lot of toxins in an effort to survive???? I used to run carbon to combat the toxins given off by palys, leathers and other softie coral but haven't done that in a while. Now I wished I had run carbon in the system.

It's looking like whatever has happened has stabilized and the fish I have left look better. I am still not sure about the clown which still looks a bit rough and I haven't seen the watchman goby or the royal Gramma. I did about a 25% water change yesterday in hopes of diluting the problem. Maybe I will do another today.

I hear you. With the exception of 1-2 years, since 1986, I've always had a marine tank of some type.

The Palys sure sound like they could have been the culprit.

As far as the low salinity, when I was dealing with it, it didn't affect my macros, fish, gorgonians, ricordea, zoas or rock anemone at all. But, I did lose some snails and hermits and the SPS were definitely affected. It took me a while to figure out what the issue was as I also detected stray voltage in the tank at that time as well and thought that was the issue.

I hear you. With the exception of 1-2 years, since 1986, I've always had a marine tank of some type.

The Palys sure sound like they could have been the culprit.

As far as the low salinity, when I was dealing with it, it didn't affect my macros, fish, gorgonians, ricordea, zoas or rock anemone at all. But, I did lose some snails and hermits and the SPS were definitely affected. It took me a while to figure out what the issue was as I also detected stray voltage in the tank at that time as well and thought that was the issue.
Ah yes, the stray voltage thing is hard to detect. I also dealt with that once.

I do have some good news, when I fed the tank flakes I saw Guardian, the watchman goby and Monarch, the royal Gramma. Both are acting skittish but their fins aren't clamped anymore so I have my fingers crossed.

Well the tank seems to be back to normal. I will miss the splash of royal blue that the 3 damsels brought to the tank but tomorrow my order from gulf coast ecosystems arrives. That helps sooth the pain of loss and I am excited about the macros and gorgs that are coming.

Have you ordered from Gulf Coast Eco before. I’ve seen them mentioned a lot over the years but, for some reason, I’ve never placed an order.

Have you ordered from Gulf Coast Eco before. I’ve seen them mentioned a lot over the years but, for some reason, I’ve never placed an order.
Yes I have. They are excellant to deal with if you like macro algae and gorgonians and sponges. They have things well packaged, it arrives in excellant shape and they give generous portions. They remind me of KP Aquatics in their service to their customers, if you have ever dealt with KP Aquatics.

Yes I have. They are excellant to deal with if you like macro algae and gorgonians and sponges. They have things well packaged, it arrives in excellant shape and they give generous portions. They remind me of KP Aquatics in their service to their customers, if you have ever dealt with KP Aquatics.
Thanks for the information. I'm not big on macros, but they have great pricing on R. Florida and gorgs which I am interested in. Yes, I have dealt with KP and absolutely love their livestock and customer service...Philip and Kara are awesome.

Thanks for the information. I'm not big on macros, but they have great pricing on R. Florida and gorgs which I am interested in. Yes, I have dealt with KP and absolutely love their livestock and customer service...Philip and Kara are awesome.
I got a recordia from Gulf coast ecosystem the last time I ordered and it was very nice. It was a pretty blue/green but my t5 lighting was not adequate to keep it happy. I am excited to see how the gorgs I get tomorrow look. I will let you know about tomorrow's order and how it looks.

Back