High Nutrient Macro Algae/Sea Grass Reef

I can chime in on Gorgonians & ornamental sponges from Gulf Coast EcoSystem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
Well the tank seems to be back to normal. I will miss the splash of royal blue that the 3 damsels brought to the tank but tomorrow my order from gulf coast ecosystems arrives. That helps sooth the pain of loss and I am excited about the macros and gorgs that are coming.
Dawn,
Did you get the last of the Bortacladia from GCE? I have a small sprig from 1 yr ago, that I moved to a fishless macro tank with a Caribbean flame scallop who is lost to camera this morning.

After knowing PaulB online for 10yrs, I visited him at his home on Long Island in August. You would have enjoyed the scenic roads on your motorcycle. Paul is a serious diy person with unique gadgets of deco art. In fact, just after our visit, he displayed his art and as an author talked about his book at Long Island library near his home. You can see the water where he collects from his home.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
Dawn,
Did you get the last of the Bortacladia from GCE? I have a small sprig from 1 yr ago, that I moved to a fishless macro tank with a Caribbean flame scallop who is lost to camera this morning.

After knowing PaulB online for 10yrs, I visited him at his home on Long Island in August. You would have enjoyed the scenic roads on your motorcycle. Paul is a serious diy person with unique gadgets of deco art. In fact, just after our visit, he displayed his art and as an author talked about his book at Long Island library near his home. You can see the water where he collects from his home.
Nope, that was not me who ordered Bortacladia. I have plenty of red macro algae. I ordered a less invasive rigid green caulerpa and a brown macro, Lobophora. My order hasn't come yet but is suppose to arrive today. I am pretty excited!

Yes, I would have loved to meet all of you this past summer. I am sure that motorcycling there would have been great. Seeing and meeting Paul in person would have been fun. He seems a little bigger than life in a way.

Nope, that was not me who ordered Bortacladia. I have plenty of red macro algae. I ordered a less invasive rigid green caulerpa and a brown macro, Lobophora. My order hasn't come yet but is suppose to arrive today. I am pretty excited!

Yes, I would have loved to meet all of you this past summer. I am sure that motorcycling there would have been great. Seeing and meeting Paul in person would have been fun. He seems a little bigger than life in a way.
When God made @Paul B He threw the mold away.

The corky finger opened up and it is so cool. It does not look like what I was expecting to get but it is even better. I like the lavender color next to the green of the caulerpa cupresoides.

Attachments

• IMG_20221027_132025997.jpg
    IMG_20221027_132025997.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Very nice. When (if) I ever get the basement re-done and upgrade from my 40 to a 75 I plan to have a Gorgonian patch as well.

To be honest, I do have a mini-Gorgonian patch in my 40 right now.

Right.jpg

Now, if I can just get that pesky Mermaid's Cup/Wineglass algae under control :rolleyes:

Very nice. When (if) I ever get the basement re-done and upgrade from my 40 to a 75 I plan to have a Gorgonian patch as well.

To be honest, I do have a mini-Gorgonian patch in my 40 right now.

View attachment 32375429

Now, if I can just get that pesky Mermaid's Cup/Wineglass algae under control :rolleyes:
Oh wow, I always wanted some of that Mermaids wineglass! I did not know that it is very invasive.

I like the gorgonian patch. It will be a good start on your upgraded tank.

Oh wow, I always wanted some of that Mermaids wineglass! I did not know that it is very invasive.

I like the gorgonian patch. It will be a good start on your upgraded tank.
Well, to be fair. My refractometer was out of calibration and I didn't realize it :oops: After I calibrated the refractometer, I found my salinity had dropped to 1.020. I believe this led to the death of all my pods, bristleworms, snails, and the rest of my CUC with the exception of one hermit. Cyano also started taking over.

I used Dr. Tim's Refresh and Waste-Away to get the cyano under control and that's when the Mermaid's started taking over. I added 2 Emerald crabs last weekend and I'm hoping the will help.

So, I'm not sure the Mermaid's is really/normally that invasive or it's simply the result of not having a CUC.

That's a really cool view. How the heck do you keep the sand on a slope like that? I really like that look and, despite looking at all your pics, never noticed that before.
I have some very large dense live rock that I got from buying from a 'tear down' tank. I used that rock as a retaining wall. My tank has 3 tiers: a 1" tier on the left side, a 4-5" tier in the front right and a 7" tier in the back right. I am a fan of deep sand beds and this is a tall tank. Having the sand bed so deep on the right back of the tank let me build up the rock work to utilize some of the height. It gives my tank more of a 3-D dimension.
I don't photograph that end much because until recently it was ugly.

I have some very large dense live rock that I got from buying from a 'tear down' tank. I used that rock as a retaining wall. My tank has 3 tiers: a 1" tier on the left side, a 4-5" tier in the front right and a 7" tier in the back right. I am a fan of deep sand beds and this is a tall tank. Having the sand bed so deep on the right back of the tank let me build up the rock work to utilize some of the height. It gives my tank more of a 3-D dimension.
Great planning on your part and looks fantastic(y)

Well folks, I am out of control. I just peeked on KPAquatics and they had masked gobies and a chiton, both of which I have been wanting! Since I had to pay $40 shipping, I decided to make it worth my while by ordering 2 neon gobies, a white flame scallop and a sea cucumber as well. I imagine I will get this order Tuesday or Wednesday.
I guess I better get my QT tank set up!

Sounds awesome. I've been waiting for their shipped to your door live rock to come back in stop. I'd like to get another 10-20 lbs to cure in a tub and re-fresh my tank with microfauna.

Well folks, I am out of control. I just peeked on KPAquatics and they had masked gobies and a chiton, both of which I have been wanting! Since I had to pay $40 shipping, I decided to make it worth my while by ordering 2 neon gobies, a white flame scallop and a sea cucumber as well. I imagine I will get this order Tuesday or Wednesday.
I guess I better get my QT tank set up!
Can’t wait to see more pics.

Back