High Nutrient Macro Algae/Sea Grass Reef

The creatures from KPA have landed. 2 of the masked gobies are really tiny so I may keep them in the baby net until they grow a bit more. I have seen them eat the smallest spectra pellets so that is very encouraging. The neon gobies are bigger than I expected and hopefully the tank is large enough for 2 to coexist. The chiton is bigger than I thought and is already motoring around the tank. The scallop is open and appears to be in feeding mode. I am very pleased with everything I received!

Attachments

• IMG_20221102_114602340.jpg
    IMG_20221102_114602340.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
So my fish livestock is as follows:

Pajama cardinalfish, 2-24-18
Barnacle blenny, 9-11-18
Green citrin goby, 12-29-18
Royal Gramma, 3-14-20
Tomini tang, 10-3-20
Ocellaris clownfish, 12-2020
Yellow watchman goby, 3-20-21
Coral beauty angelfish, 2-20-22
4 Masked gobies, 11-2-22
2 Neon gobies, 11-2-22

Percula clownfish that is 10-12 years old that lives in the sump/fuge

Oh wow, yesterday I noticed Ozzie nuzzling one of my rainbow BTAs. Not really hosting it but touching it with his nose or rubbing his back on the foot part of the BTA. Well, a few minutes ago Ozzie was actually rubbing enthusiastically among the tentacles of the BTA. It's crazy because Ozzie has been in this tank with the BTAs almost 2 years and has never shown any interest in them. I had given up on him pairing with a anemone. Anyway, I am very excited about this!

Wow, I've been away too long. Your video was awesome Dawn, and Barney is so cute! I can't wait for the next one. Sorry to hear about your fish losses. It hurts. It's so easy to get attached to them, and I find that, even though I collect my own fish, I develop the same sense of love for all of my fish. I worry about them all every day.

Your new purchases make your amazing tank even more amazing.

Patrick: You're tank looks fantastic as well. It kind of reminds me of Michaels tank with your live back wall. Well done!

Wow, I've been away too long. Your video was awesome Dawn, and Barney is so cute! I can't wait for the next one. Sorry to hear about your fish losses. It hurts. It's so easy to get attached to them, and I find that, even though I collect my own fish, I develop the same sense of love for all of my fish. I worry about them all every day.

Patrick: You're tank looks fantastic as well. It kind of reminds me of Michaels tank with your live back wall. Well done!
Good to see you back:)

I will try to make another video with the new fish as they seem to be settling well. The tiny mask gobies stay in the baby net even though I have it tipped on it's side and they can swim out. I will leave it in the tank that way until they grow a little more.

I have been noticing that the water level in my DT had risen, actually to the point of being at the top of my overflow box. Last week I saw that it was almost to the top of my overflow box so I took out the standpipe and used a bottle brush to clean all the holes in it. I had thought that would remedy the problem but with the water even slightly higher, obviously it did not.

The only other thing I could think of being the problem was that something was in my U tube slowing the flow down. Since I use HOB overflow boxes, I always dread breaking the syphon as it means that I have to get the syphon going again. Anyway, I needed to investigate this before the water in the DT rose any higher. Good thing I did, there was a lot of thick hair algae in the tube and the bottle brush cleaned things up nicely. I decided since I switched to LEDs and they hang higher, that there is more spill over light hitting the U tube, thus growing the algae. I made a duct tape shield over the U tube so hopefully will slow the growth of algae. Anyway, it was good that I investigated.

I am happy to report that everything seems to be doing well. Both the new macro algae, gorgs, fish and inverts have transition happily which makes me happy. I just hope by me stating this that I do not jinx my tank!

I am happy to report that everything seems to be doing well. Both the new macro algae, gorgs, fish and inverts have transition happily which makes me happy. I just hope by me stating this that I do not jinx my tank!
Nice

Dawn, based on feedback from others, I’m thinking about getting rubble to see if I can propogate this for trade/sale.
80A2E189-3D8B-40B5-B55A-AACD748AE69D.jpeg

Come spring (warmer weather), if I still have this algae, would you be my guinea pig for shipping it?

Back