High Nutrient Macro Algae/Sea Grass Reef

I agree, nice recovery!
Thanks Michael. Yep, when things go wrong or break it is never convenient, but I am glad that it did not happen when our grandkiddos were here. And I am liking a simpler system with just the display and a sump that doubles as a fuge.

Thank you for all your kind encouragement over the years. I hope all goes well for you and your family and will pray to that end. I also will look forward to your return to aquaria when you are ready!

Funny, but I had a piece that lasted a few years in one of my earlier tanks. I'm pretty sure I got it at Seahorse. Man I miss that place!!!

Me too Jesse. The Seahorse and it's owners will always have a special place in my heart and feel privileged to have worked there for 12 years.

Funny, but I had a piece that lasted a few years in one of my earlier tanks. I'm pretty sure I got it at Seahorse. Man I miss that place!!!
Me too Jesse. The Seahorse and it's owners will always have a special place in my heart and feel privileged to have worked there for 12 years.

Sad news, I found Charlie Brown, my very personable midas blenny behind the display tank. I am not sure even how long he had been back there but it appears to have been a while. I am thinking he may have jumped when I was working on the HOB overflow box, because that is the only time I have had the net covering off, although with the auto flake feeder it's possible he jumped out the hole for the flake food. At any rate, I was really bummed as he was a very cool fish and it's tough to lose a fish in any way but jumping is especially hard.

Wow, that stinks. I think that I've lost about 1/2 of my fish that way, despite covering the holes. I lost a few fish while doing tank maintenance. I didn't even know they jumped out. Others found their way out of the smallest holes. One of my female blennies was being harrassed so much by the males she jumped out. I found her on the lid, still alive, but her slime coat was all gone. I revived her and she even ate the next day, but a bacterial infection set in on her tail and really ate her away fast. I tried antibiotics to no avail. She was too far gone and would not eat.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear the loss of Charlie. He was so cool. Are you going to get another midas blenny?

Wow, that stinks. I think that I've lost about 1/2 of my fish that way, despite covering the holes. I lost a few fish while doing tank maintenance. I didn't even know they jumped out. Others found their way out of the smallest holes. One of my female blennies was being harrassed so much by the males she jumped out. I found her on the lid, still alive, but her slime coat was all gone. I revived her and she even ate the next day, but a bacterial infection set in on her tail and really ate her away fast. I tried antibiotics to no avail. She was too far gone and would not eat.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear the loss of Charlie. He was so cool. Are you going to get another midas blenny?
Thanks Kevin for the condolences. Right now I am not going to get another midas blenny. I never like to introduce a single fish into a system that has as many established fish as my tank does. The tank is still quite active even without Charlie so I plan to leave things be for now.

The coral seem to have brightened up a notch and I thought they were looking good a month ago. I am seeing more growth all of a sudden in the branching leather corals, which is cool. The mustard color palys just keep multiplying heads and I am really excited about that too. So not all bad news.

Very good then! Is your barnacle blenny still alive? Maybe he could use some buddies? :) (not that I'm partial to blennies, or anything LOL)

That said, I looked on line for them because I'm thinking about my next build being for them and/or maybe bluespotted jawfish. But man, they're hard to find in stock and very expensive. I may go with a Caribbean version instead...

Very good then! Is your barnacle blenny still alive? Maybe he could use some buddies? :) (not that I'm partial to blennies, or anything LOL)

That said, I looked on line for them because I'm thinking about my next build being for them and/or maybe bluespotted jawfish. But man, they're hard to find in stock and very expensive. I may go with a Caribbean version instead...
I would love more barnacle blennies and Barney is still doing well. They would do fine in the tank since my rock has so many nooks and crannies.

Oh wow, it's been a while since I posted. Everything is doing well, both fish, macro algae and coral. I am especially pleased with how well the codium is doing in the display. It all receded and disappeared from the refugium but it is flourishing in the display. It must like the lighting of the LEDs better than the T5s over the fuge. Also the rainbow BTAs are beautiful in the display. They continue to divide and end up in the fuge by going through the overflow and down the drain. I think there are around 6 in the fuge and 5-6 more in the display. The ones in the display stay put on their pedestal and don't sting coral so I am happy to have multiple nems nesting together. It's a nice look.

I should clean the glass and take a pic.

As it turned out my tank needed more attention than just the glass getting cleaned! It goes like this, "well while I have my hands wet I will just pull a little of this macro algae out. Hhm, maybe I should pull this macro algae too. Oh no, it's attached to these rocks! Oh dear, rainbow BTAs are attached to that! Uhhg, that purple synthetic sponge is also attached to the rock!!!" Are you getting the picture? LOL. It was a one thing led to another.

Right now the tank is a cloudy mess but I suspect when the dust (I mean detritus) settles, the tank will look a bit more opened up. Hopefully in a good way. I did do the glass but the tank needs to clear before I see if it is picture worthy.

Hey Jesse! :)

I hear ya Dawn, I just did a big clean up on my river tank, same kinda thing. I neglected it for too long. I have to remember that an hours work more often saves a 4-6 hour job later if I wait too long.

Back