Hobby regrets

Moving: If I had stayed in my old house I would have had a flourishing 90G system. Now I have few smaller tanks in the basement in survival mode.
With the new house there is no time to set the system back up :-(

Waffleman

Man how many can one list???

I too have had the dead nem experience, although not in the mouth.
1st: jumping the gun before the timing our experience was right.
2nd: Rushing a water change and piling on the carbon in during a calcium precip event.(boy that was a dumb rookie move) lost 90% of my first mixed reef that way. This is when I learned the time honored phrase NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS FAST IN REEF KEEPING!
Lastly moving my display to the basement temporarily so the Lr floor could be sanded and refinished at the behest of my wife. Just a general disaster and it never was the same. Only lost a few pieces after moving it all twice in two weeks but the chemistry problems just didn't seen to end so much effort wasted just to shut it down a 9 months later.

Have just shaved a slushie off the iceburg here but it's nice to know your not alone some times. :facepalm:

buying/using lower quality stuff to save money...you end up upgrading anyway so then you've only spent extra money from buying the first one!

re: regrets

re: regrets

When I first started out I didn't have access to the internet so I had to PURCHASE BOOKS and SUBSCRIBE TO MAGAZINES for several years.

*= ONE WAY FLOW OF VERY LIMITED INFO*

There's no doubt my main regret NOW is not having access to all of you other wonderful reefkeeping people SOONER :beer:

Buying cheap equipment i read nothing about only to find out rather fast why it was so cheap, not always ideal but ur better off throwing down on some good equipment and be done with it

I have artificial OCD. Make myself check things repeatedly to have better control. It took many failures of all types to figure out that I needed a mental condition to take better care of my tanks. If I was only born with it.

I regret at one time thinking my tanks are only cool when filled with name brand, bugger size frags.

I regret not thinking of safety the many times I got hurt. (Gloves, glasses, antibiotics...)

Last edited:
I regret my aunt and uncle giving me their unused 29g back in the '80s so I could make the switch from fresh to salt

I regret ever getting a wallet since because my money seems to disappear as soon as I accumulate any...

Definitely cheap equipment. Bought a halide/power compact fixture off eBay for 700 new then one year later before I had even finished building the tank the same light from the se vendor was 299. Then once I do get the tank up and running the first time the lights came one one of the ballasts fried, and eventually only a few months later so did the other one. So after two icecap ballasts my fixture was over a grand.And now I run LEDs, if only I had started there. I would also recommend a good skimmer a little bigger than than you initially think you need.

I know a fella that put a Maine lobster in his reef system. I'm serious!
I have done that a few times as I used to SCUBA for lobsters. I also had flounders, blue claw crabs, sea robins and eels in there.

I regret not knowing to look under the Caribbean surface while spending almost everyday for 2 1/2 years in the 90's standing on it. I could have kept an amazing tank stocked with tidbits of the days catch, not to mention what i might have found when i did put a mask on had i not only been chasing after fish to look at...if I only knew.

looking at this thread was great. ive had alot of the same problems. i always get burned trying to save a nickel or being impulsive.

Back