Houston reefing

Step Johns

Alright so i am planning on moving to houston sometime in july and was wondering how the reefing scene is out there? I currently live in san diego california, and reefing is amazing out here so i want to know what i have to look forward to. Alright thanks

Here's a post I made on another forum:
Here are some places I recommend for the next time you make the trip out to H-town for corals:

City Pets (actually near Beechnut and beltway 8 ) has a good selection. They usually have the best zoas in town and I really like their $5 frag tank. Occasionally they will get some really nice ORA corals.

Fish Ranch is one of my favorite places too. They generally have really nice lobos and scolys and a variety of awesome mixed life rocks for starter pieces. Be sure to check out the huge moray and grouper tank if you stop by.

T&T Pets is off of highway 6 and Bellaire. They have awesome coral, but charge PREMIUM prices for their frags. It's worth the money if you've got the money to spend.

Fish Gallery has really fallen on my list. They are a bit more pricey than City Pets or Fish Ranch and, the last couple of times I've been there, they seem to specialize in brown corals. One of the employees explained that they are stuck with a lot of stuff right now because of the economy. I guess people have been through and bought a lot of the attractive stuff and now they just have the stuff no one really wants. Unfortunate really since they used to be one of my favorite places to shop.

All of these stores have some pretty impressive display tanks. Judging by the things they sell, I would say there has to be some pretty nice tanks around town. However, I don't personally know many other people that reef.

I live on the southwest side of Houston, nice to meet you.

Last edited:
Alright, so i am still wondering if i will be able to have a reef tank in houston. I will be a starving college student so i won't be able to have a chiller, or ac at the aprtment so i was wondering if it would be feesable to do? I am thinking of most likely running a couple of fans for evap cooling but not to sure if that will be enough

Also, is there any place to get local seawater? Because i live in san diego and there is a local pier that has a saltwater tap for local marine hobbyiests, and is houston close enough to the beach to make this a worth while drive? Sorry if my questions sound stupid i am just really nervous about this move. Never really been out of california so i have no idea of what to expect

Alright, so i am still wondering if i will be able to have a reef tank in houston. I will be a starving college student so i won't be able to have a chiller, or ac at the aprtment so i was wondering if it would be feesable to do? I am thinking of most likely running a couple of fans for evap cooling but not to sure if that will be enough

Reef tank aside, how could you possibly live in Houston without A/C?!?

I can't even imagine! (but I'm a wuss in really hot, humid weather since I'm originally from Wisconsin haha)

It'll be different, I assure you. Houston is one of the most humid towns I know, and A/C is what makes it bearable. The club in Houston is MARSH, and their site is www.marshreef.org

I know this is not reef related but i am freaking out about moving out there. I was born and raised in southern california and have no idea what to expect or how to act. I am excited but it is still going to be scary.

Change is always difficult at first, but usually we adapt to the new conditions, or revert (move back to Calif). ;)

I know this is not reef related but i am freaking out about moving out there. I was born and raised in southern california and have no idea what to expect or how to act. I am excited but it is still going to be scary.

lol its not that bad down here. im on the local forums too so let me know what's up.

Thanks guys i definately will. I am super excited now to leave home, for reasons i will not mention, and am really looking forward to Houston. I'm not sure yet if i will be able to bring my current reef tank with me. Not sure how i would get my corals on a 23 hour car ride safely. So i am most likely going to start over just not sure if that will be possible as i will be a starving student lol. I may just bring my set-up and slowly get corals as i have extra money... Just not too sure yet how everything is going to work out.

Please let me reiderate.... I have lived here all my life!!! It will be incrdibly different from your climate... 99 in Cali may feel bareable but it feels like you have driven through the gates of H**L when it gets that high or higher here!!! 105 last summer...YOU HAVE TO HAVE AC!! at least at night...

Back