How do I get rid of this brown fuzz?

richardhmc

I have frags and rocks from my old tank that have this brown fuzz on it. I believe it is brown hair algae but I can't can't pull it off without risking pulling off the zoas too. Plus, it doesn't easily come off. Is there any other easier way? Thanks

Attachments

• DSC03445.jpg
    DSC03445.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC03447.jpg
    DSC03447.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2
This stuff is ridiculous. I tried using a toothbrush to scratch it off and it doesn't come off. This stuff is covering my goniopora's holes and the damn polyps can't even get out

Do you have any tangs? Yellow, Salfin and or Kole will help keep it in check. If not I suggest getting an old toothbrush rinse it off with RODI and then use it on the frag plug outside in another container. Another way is if you have tongs... manually remove the plug and place in a seperate container and get to work pulling & scraping ( you do this as to not let free floating pieces attach to other plugs or corals). GL. Just seen the toothbrush part so 4 get that part.

For the plugs it should be easier to rip off but the rock is very bumpy and not smooth so it would be more difficult. Plus, there are two anemones attached to that single rock

Maybe try an airline hose ran drom your DT into your sump with a filtersock. Start a siphon and scrape the algea with the airline, and it will get caught in the filtersock.

Basically it's Melev's flatworm siphon, but do it for your algea instead.

Start cutting down the light cycle at most by 2 for this week starting Monday and then another hour the following. If you starve it's light source it will not grow as much, Doing this helps keep it under control to a degree untill you can plan an attack method and still gives the corals light to thrive.

You'll be surprised at what they eat! From my experience.... both of mine do! Along with my Zebra Salfin.... Just crop it down some and watch them pick pick pick.

Mexican Turbo.. perhaps, not sure of the hermits. Tuxedo Urchin.. not sure Pencil Urchin can't say. Ask AquaticLifeDct... there always around reading and lurking too affraid to post. LOL!!

Back