How do I silence my overflow?

Setting up a new tank for the first time in about 9 years and I'm struggling to understand ho to make a silent overflow with my new setup .....

as you can see from the pics there is an internal overflow screen plumbed to a bulkhead on the back of the tank which drains into the sump. the company that built this for me also included an external overflow box attached to the bulkhead. unfortunately the box was too long to fit in the space between the return bulkheads.

So I just installed a gate valve in line from the overflow drain bulkhead to control flow if needed. when I filled up the tank and turned everything on to do some leak checking because the water level does not completely cover the overflow drain you get this continual sucking noise.

Can anyone tell me the best way to solve this? Currently the 2 return pumps are on their lowest flow setting.

Attachments

• overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1
  • overflow1.jpg
    overflow1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1
Call the builder & have a new external box built.
I don't think that overflow will ever be silent.

^^^This^^^

And turn that box sideways so it's up against the back glass. I don't think I've ever seen a overflow pointing out into the tank. Another thing - with a single drain line - DO NOT restrict it in any way - no valve at all. The last thing you need is for something to obstruct it and overflow the tank. If you need to reduce flow, do it on the return side where a (preferably) gate valve can cut back the output from the return pump.

^^^This^^^

And turn that box sideways so it's up against the back glass. I don't think I've ever seen a overflow pointing out into the tank. Another thing - with a single drain line - DO NOT restrict it in any way - no valve at all. The last thing you need is for something to obstruct it and overflow the tank. If you need to reduce flow, do it on the return side where a (preferably) gate valve can cut back the output from the return pump.
It will never be silent with the surface skimmer type overflow. It will always suck in air.
Not having an emergency overflow scares the bejeebus out of me. I've been awakened more than once by the sound of my emergency drain sucking air.

Sent from my BV9800Pro using Tapatalk

If the noise is due to the water falling, reduce the height (thus energy) of the fall by raising the water level, which you can do by shortening the inflow pipe or by putting something like rock or marbles in the bottom to raise the water height without increasing the volume. Dunno if that describes your situation, but quieted mine.

^^^This^^^

I can remove the gate valve on the input side - its wide open anyway. the return pumps are variable flow rates so I should be able to dial them back if necessary vice gate valves.

so I turned up the flow rate on the return pumps & this dramatically reduced any noise but you can still hear it. I understand the value of an overflow box from the perspective of preventing a tank overflow but does installing one also guarantee a silent operation?

Guess I need to research who sells overflow boxes that would work for my tank?

Hey the Mfg. screwed up with dimensions they should be able to make it right!

appreciate the sentiment but that aint't going to happen. when you sign the contract for them to build the system their 10 pages of lawyer speak says that you understand as long as they build to the specs provided anything else is your problem.

the fact that I didn't check whether the dimensions of the overflow box would fit are "my" fault not theirs ....

they said "due to the teeth design & cov er it is extremely unlikley that teh overtflow will get clogged so an external box is really unncecssary ..."

says nothing about customer service and I actually did 'catch' a couple of other things that I had to correct prior to signing which didn't make me happy as I wanted them tto design me a turn-key system so i wouldn't havr to do all the design work like i did on my current tank ...

needless to say I won't be recommending them to anyone ...

I use folded washcloths to damper the vibration sometimes. (along the line/vinyl hosing) I've never come across a "SILENT" return pump before, but the "bumpers" so to say seem to help. (being the tank is four feet away from my bed) GL.

The elbow is the problem. It will never be quiet.

If you have no recourse with the mfg then I would drill the bottom and put in a straight down overflow. I have never had noise issues with a small corner box and a straight drop through the bottom. Just the constant waterflow noise.

It sounds scary to do but it really is simple with a diamond hole saw running in reverse on slow with a lot of water to cool it. Then simple fittings and you have an overflow straight to the sump with no curves to cause noise. Adjust the pump speed or flow so it doesn't overwhelm the flow into the sump.

Buy a 10g to test on if you want to. Use it as a nano when you are done!

I recently thought about reviving a predator tank and ran across this overflow and thought WOW that's a game changer. Overflow without sacrificing part of the tank, and kicked myself for not thinking of the idea and getting the patent myself.

I am glad I saw this post (thanks reef central) and am wondering about the O.P. and how his noise is coming along. And also if any others are using this new design overflow with success

Back