How far apart should my baffles be?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9863876#post9863876 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by justinm0424
I think it's the force of the water being pulled down faster than the air can be pulled which eliminates the microbubbles. And if the gap is too large then there's not enough force pulling the water.

Actually, the opposite is true.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9864163#post9864163 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Craig Lambert
Actually, the opposite is true.

really?? How do the baffles work exactly? I know on my 40gal I had 1/2in baffles pushing like 500gph and i could watch the bubbles being pulled down about halfway through the baffles before they rose to the top.

Do you think my problem isn't that my baffles are too far apart but that they aren't tall enough? they're only 10in tall.

I don't think it's worth the time debating the width of the baffles - it's effects are minimal. If you are still getting microbubbles it is probably due to the amount of flow through the sump - not the space between baffles.

Too much flow for a sump, like just about everyone else is saying.
Think about it a bit, you are saying that water moves so fast that air can't keep up...... the density of water will move air around like it's no ones business, up down left or right, all day all week.

You can pursue the width of the baffles all day but it won't fix your issue with the bubbles.
Like mentioned earlier, the slower flow created through your baffles should do a better job of eliminating micro bubbles.

If the bubbles are caused by the overflow dumping into the sump then have it dump into a filter sock. This will eliminate most of the bubbles if not all.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9864779#post9864779 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davidryder
I don't think it's worth the time debating the width of the baffles - it's effects are minimal. If you are still getting microbubbles it is probably due to the amount of flow through the sump - not the space between baffles.

Exactly!

Back