How many do not quarantine?

CrayolaViolence

I am not looking for this to turn into a discussion of why a person should quarantine or the right or wrong or whatever. That's not at all the point of this. I am asking because I know people on here who have said they don't QT and have never QT yet they've had (or seem to) very good success with fish. I'd like to know the long term success of people who choose not to QT. How old are your oldest fish and why do you think you have routinely dodged the disease bullet?

Thanks so much.

I know it's a huge risk but I've never quarantined. I've had my oldest fish for nearly a year. Newest a few weeks. I only buy from two LFS. That goes for fish and coral. Sure even with a great track record the risk is always there. Part of the reason is my wife won't understand nor approve of setting up another tank regardless of the location. If a QT was right next to my DT she would hate it.

Not QT is about luck. Do you feel lucky? The more you have to lose, the less lucky you feel :)

If the cost of all your livestock is less than the cost and pain of QT, you'll feel luckier.

With $1000 of fish that have been with you for years, QT is just good practice. Would you take a steakbone out of a dumpster for your dog who's been with you for 10 years knowing that a rabid raccoon "might" have had a bite at it? What if it's only 1 in 10000 chance that it's tainted?

Depends on what it is. Fish, frags, rocks, inverts, etc. All do. But I don't QT my sand or water.

I do not quarantine anything in my current tank. I had a lot of issue with my previous tank in which I did. My current 40 gallon is fully stocked and I do not plan on adding anything other than an anemone. I most likely will qt that though because its a carpet and I see so many of them sick.

Not QT is about luck. Do you feel lucky? The more you have to lose, the less lucky you feel :)

If the cost of all your livestock is less than the cost and pain of QT, you'll feel luckier.

With $1000 of fish that have been with you for years, QT is just good practice. Would you take a steakbone out of a dumpster for your dog who's been with you for 10 years knowing that a rabid raccoon "might" have had a bite at it? What if it's only 1 in 10000 chance that it's tainted?

While I appreciate you partaking in the thread, Karimwassef these are exactly the kinds of replies I do not want on this thread. This is not about arguing whether to or whether to not QT. I'm just curious to hear from those who feel they have had success.

To stay on point with OP's criteria, I've personally known 5-6 people who have had tanks 10+ years (some small 20ish gallon systems up to one that was a 300 gal full-blown reef) who never bothered with the QT process, without issue. I won't get into whether or not I think that's a good idea or not, because you said that's not what you wanted to discuss here.
Edit: As to why they've dodged the bullet, the fish gods have smiled upon them is my guess.

I missed the part where you asked specifically about fish..... I have 13 tanks right now between my home and work. The tank at work did not have anything QTd. 5 of 5 fish that all appeared perfectly healthy in the store died of an unknown cause in an otherwise perfect tank (perameter wise). That was my only attempt at not QTing. Very reputable LFS as well.

I killed 9 fish trying to do TTM and QT.
None of my current 13 fish without QT have developed an issue. I plan on one more addition, Now I am getting the jitters. Number 13?

Honestly if you don't want opinions and you only want success stories, then you should rephrase your post to "tell me how old your luckiest fish is" and start asking "how many fish did you lose before you landed the hardy one?". You're going to hear stories of people having 20 year old fish hat were never QTd. That will not be the case every time and if you're trying to hear success stories to make yourself feel better about not QTing your fish this post is a waste. Actually no matter what this post is a waste and I hope it doesn't lead anybody to start thinking it's okay to not QT. Its all about risk factor. End of story. /endthread

Honestly if you don't want opinions and you only want success stories, then you should rephrase your post to "tell me how old your luckiest fish is" and start asking "how many fish did you lose before you landed the hardy one?". You're going to hear stories of people having 20 year old fish hat were never QTd. That will not be the case every time and if you're trying to hear success stories to make yourself feel better about not QTing your fish this post is a waste. Actually no matter what this post is a waste and I hope it doesn't lead anybody to start thinking it's okay to not QT. Its all about risk factor. End of story. /endthread

I think everyone has the right to do what they wish as I have and also have not qt. But who are you to shut this thread down?

I never used to qt, until one day I introduced ick into my dt and lost a few fish. After that, I qt everything.

While I appreciate you partaking in the thread, Karimwassef these are exactly the kinds of replies I do not want on this thread. This is not about arguing whether to or whether to not QT. I'm just curious to hear from those who feel they have had success.

Not sure I understand the point of the thread. You ONLY want to hear from people who haven't had a single fish die?

I didn't QT at first and some fish are still around and some died. I guess that's some success? Luckily, I never got ick, velvet, brook or something like that which can kill all inhabitants, mainly just parasites, infections, lympho. Of course there will be some, but I think almost everyone who has been doing this for more than a year or two would have a dead fish if not from diseases than from bullying, being a shy eater, stress, etc. That is part of QT as well, just getting the fish comfortable and strong. Even if you don't TTM or medicate, my experience has been to at least observe for a while.

And to what Karim said, now I QT b/c I've had these fish for 2+ years and I don't want to risk THEM for the new addition. It's not just about if the new fish looks fine and will probably be ok.

I didn't in the beginning.... then I lost 1300 worth of fish and wiped out my tank... so now I QT

I've never done a QT. I always thought that bigger fish need a bigger home so why put them in a smaller tank. I always Think that putting them in a stable large environment is better. I understand qt. I also don't have room to set up a qt. that said I'm not entirely sure that if I did have room that I would do it. I also don't qt corals. I only have one system with proper lighting, flow etc. I want the coral out of shipping and into a stable environment.

That being said I have several fish that are over four years old and one that will be seven in March. They have survived fish not being subjected to qt, tank crashes, etc...

Back