How many tangs you have

I don't know where the odd/even theories started, but I'm pretty sure fish can't count, so I don't buy into that at all.

Swim space is the issue w/ tangs, in a 240g you could easily have a group of tangs somewhat peacefully depending on species

I agree the even/odd rule of thumb is pretty much bogus as each individual fish's temperment trumps the number of fish. I have to disagree with the notion fish cant count though. Even the lowly mosquito fish can count to at least four (1, 2, 3, 4, then lots).
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10071-008-0140-9
Research is showing fish are much smarter than we've belived them to be, some fish scoring as well as primates on some types of intellegence tests.

I agree the even/odd rule of thumb is pretty much bogus as each individual fish's temperment trumps the number of fish. I have to disagree with the notion fish cant count though. Even the lowly mosquito fish can count to at least four (1, 2, 3, 4, then lots).
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10071-008-0140-9
Research is showing fish are much smarter than we've belived them to be, some fish scoring as well as primates on some types of intellegence tests.

If I'm reading this correctly, this shows a female mosquito fish chose to join the larger shoal, which would make sense to me, bigger shoal, greater safety among greater numbers.

While I agree some fish are smarter than others or what some give credit to, I don't think that proves they are counting exactly, nor that odd or even or a certain number leads to greater chance of success or failure based on a certain number of fish.

If I'm reading this correctly, this shows a female mosquito fish chose to join the larger shoal, which would make sense to me, bigger shoal, greater safety among greater numbers.

While I agree some fish are smarter than others or what some give credit to, I don't think that proves they are counting exactly, nor that odd or even or a certain number leads to greater chance of success or failure based on a certain number of fish.

Think we all agree odds even is nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Standard 180 gallon tank (72x24x24)
3 Yellow tangs
1 Pacific Blue tang
1 Tomini tang

I wanted to keep an Acanthurus species as well but have decided my tank is probably at capacity. I have 22 fish total- mostly small fish gobies, blennies, wrasses, chromis, and clowns.

Back