How much flow from an overflow?

Depends...

Depends...

The rule of thumb for SH tank is usually around 5-6x return turnover per hour.

If you're only going to use it on the 56 column and say a 20G sump, then looks like you're safe with the 300. If you're going to upgrade to a larger tank soon, and want to use the overflow on the next tank, I would select a larger one - 800 or 900 gph. In your current tank, simply control the flow by your pump selection and a ball valve on the output side of the pump.

JMHO.

LL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14812456#post14812456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tholton33
Thank you,

this is my first tank with a sump. what size piping would you recommend?

I have never used HOB overflow... so can't give advice along those lines. It looks like they use a 1" bulkhead...so I'm guessing 3/4" I.D. tubing? Don't quote me...

LL

I've got between 20 and 30 times turnover in my seahorse tank, adjusted for head height and flow loss. They don't mind gentle current, it's the jet type flow they don't handle well.

I'm up to 60x turnover in my seahorse tank. Accomplished by spraybars, powerheads, and a sump return.

IMO higher flow that is evenly broken up into gentle flow can help eliminate dead spots and increase overall tank health.

I started my flow with the rule of thumb, but kept increasing it slowly. I think I am about at my max.

That said with that style of an overflow, I would shoot for the 600 gph range and use a CL or powerheads to supplement the rest. Don't want the seahorses getting sucked up and over. ;)

Well I got the 300, ill try it out and see how it goes. I can just add a few powerheads to make up for the lack of flow..

Back