How much flow?

jb61264

I have just purchased a used 75 gallon tank and am wondering how much flow I should be shooting for once the system is up and running...trying to figure out what pump I should start saving for :)

It all depends on what you will want to keep. But IME/IMO Vortechs and Tunze Streams are the best. They create a wide flow, move a lot of water while using low wattage, and are controllable. I have both types of pump and I am very happy with their performance.

I heard vortech is great. never used it myself. as far as flow, it depends on what you are gonna keep. I have a 29 with about 1800 to 1900 gph. it's quite a bit but the fish loves it. my fiji loves it my mushrooms are is a spot that is not pounded. the hardest one to keep was my duncan. It was hard to find a spot where it would be happy. anyway I have a Koralia 4, a maxijet 1200, maxijet 400 and a 200gph hang on back filter

That seems like a lot of flow for a 29gallon. But, i guess if it works for ya. I have about 5000 to 5400 gph in my 180, and sometimes i think that is overkill.

Koralia pumps are wonderful for the money. yeah, the others listed(vortech and tunze) are better, but are they 10 times the price better?? The idea is to move water, not throw money out the window.

if its a 75 id go for 2 tunze 6025s, 1 each side half way down pointing towards each other and slightly to the top of the tank for a start, plenty of flow and gas exchange, and i think the 6025 is the best pump available for small to medium sized tanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14783124#post14783124 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by basssnake
That seems like a lot of flow for a 29gallon. But, i guess if it works for ya.

I know. Sometimes I think it is 2 much myself but my clowns love it. They ride that current 24/7

What about flow for the primary pump that is pushing water from my sump back up to the tank?

I think as a general rule 3-5x tank volume through your sump. I like slower flow through the sump though. If its too fast it can get loud.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14784034#post14784034 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jb61264
What about flow for the primary pump that is pushing water from my sump back up to the tank?

I use a mag drive 18 on my 125, you would require a smaller one. They are submersible or can be run outside the sump. There are also a lot of good non submersibles available if you plan on using that type. I Love the Mag Drives, I have had one in my pond, which I used on my old 75 salt tank, that has been in use for 16 years. So Mag Drives have my vote. That pump has run dry quite a few hours as well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14784154#post14784154 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nanojg
I think as a general rule 3-5x tank volume through your sump. I like slower flow through the sump though. If its too fast it can get loud.

I agree. Just do not forget to compensate for head loss. Remember, you can get a larger pump and dial back the flow with a ball or gate valve. Just do not forget that the valve must be on the outlet side of the pump.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14783199#post14783199 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michael
if its a 75 id go for 2 tunze 6025s, 1 each side half way down pointing towards each other and slightly to the top of the tank for a start, plenty of flow and gas exchange, and i think the 6025 is the best pump available for small to medium sized tanks

This is exactly what I'm doing in my 75, and I've been very happy with the result. Occasionally, I'll move them both forward a few inches or back a few inches for a day to stir up any low flow areas.

I modded the 6025's by hollowing out some of the inside casing (there is a thread on this somewhere around here), which increased the flow dramatically.

As far as current in the tank I say get the best you can afford. I had a Korallia and I was not impressed with it at all. The impeller do not disperse the flow correctly IMO. Remember that the better pumps are controllable, the Vortech is supplied with it and the Tunze single controller is pretty cheap. Once you get the Korallias that are controllable, plus the cost of the controller, the price is not that far off.

My vortech, I run on full blast because the flow is very wide and does not blast the corals, even the ones that are within 6 inches are fine. My leather loves the undertow it creates as well. The Tunze is a little more concentrated, so I run it on a single controller between high and medium high(1875 gph to about 900 gph) for 5 seconds alternating. I do plan on replacing my Tunze with another Vortech MP40 and I plan on running them on long pulse mode, one master and one slave, opposite eachother for about 7 seconds alternating.

I wish I did not waste money on half the crap I have purchased for this hobby. Do it right the first time, it will save you a lot in the long run.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14784200#post14784200 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cardiffgiant

I modded the 6025's by hollowing out some of the inside casing (there is a thread on this somewhere around here), which increased the flow dramatically.

this is another reason why i highly rate them, basically if modded properly they can push the same as a 6045, superb powerheads the 6025s

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to running an external pump versus a submersed?...I've always run submersible pumps in the past but wondered if I needed to consider a dry pump.

It is all preference IMO. Both will work. I am using a external pump to feed my sump back to my display tank. I am using a Iwaki 40rxlt, a little loud, but reliable from what i hear.

External pumps add very little heat to the tank, but need to be plumbed in a way that they will not leak, but yet are easy to remove for cleaning. They also produce noise as they run. A submersible will be muffled by the tank water and sump. A submersible will add a good amount of heat to the tank(2-3 degrees F), but do not need to be water tight at the sump.

Back