How much rock?

Ruu

I want to do a small order of 15lbs or so to set up a new smaller tank (monster is being made as we speak, but won't be ready for months), plus a small amount of livesand (10lbs). This probably doesn't make sense from a shipping perspective because of the 100lbs minimum charge, but... I have a friend who wants some additional rock. So the question is - roughly how much rock do we add to this order to get it to the 100lbs optimum shipping weight (he's pretty easy on the amount, since he's filling his 180 at the moment)? Shipping is to Philly international if that makes any difference.

(For those of you that think I'm just really really bad at maths, there is an amount of water shipped with the rock, and I don't know how much it weights).

Dave

i'll bet it doesn't take much to make 100lb if they are shipping it with water - it doesn't take much volume to make 100 lb of just water.

I saw a post claiming a 40lb shipping weight for 15 lb of rock, FWIW.

Coincidentally enough, i was considering an order from TBS to be shipped to Philadelphia international as well...

Re: How much rock?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6917538#post6917538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ruu
I want to do a small order of 15lbs or so to set up a new smaller tank (monster is being made as we speak, but won't be ready for months), plus a small amount of livesand (10lbs). This probably doesn't make sense from a shipping perspective because of the 100lbs minimum charge, but... I have a friend who wants some additional rock. So the question is - roughly how much rock do we add to this order to get it to the 100lbs optimum shipping weight (he's pretty easy on the amount, since he's filling his 180 at the moment)? Shipping is to Philly international if that makes any difference.

(For those of you that think I'm just really really bad at maths, there is an amount of water shipped with the rock, and I don't know how much it weights).

Dave

we usually put 20-25 pounds of rock per box, each box takes about 18# of water to submerge the rock..
Thanks
TBS

Back