how much you spent on this hobby??

Dunno but more than I've spent on toothpaste. I can estimate I lost about $22k over a 4 day period in my last crash.

I feel like this thread will be used against us, this is the fish worlds version of, "What's your moms maiden name? And what's your social security number". YOU WON'T TRICK ME!!

I don't know what it has cost over the years. It is a hobby If I start worrying that it is costing to much, then it is time to find another hobby.

thousands upon thousands. Do I regret spending it? No. Would I spend it another way today? Hard choice. It is not like I would have invested it as it is my toy money so if not the tank it would have been another money pit like my motorcycles, golf, drone, and jeep...

I equate it to a child. I went into having a kid with these high hopes and a budget in mind. You get into it and that goes out the window. You love the kid a ton but you think of what you could spend that 1300 daycare bill on and all the clothes, food, and toy money... Would you change it though? nope. Kids like tanks bring moments of pure joy and the costs go out the window...

Money

Money

hmm tops $20-30 a month you can ask my wife - I have keep her well informed on these cost. :)

Love this!

The other funny one I read here somewhere:

"My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my corals for what I told her they cost."

Hmm, total in over the last 6 years? Hard to say. I started out keeping receipts for everything then quickly realized that a reminder of how much I've spent was not the path to marital bliss.

I probably had 1.5k easy in a 29gal biocube lol!

For my 60 cube, probably 3.5k in equipment, livestock, and "stuff".

Building a 220g now and I'll be in for 5-6k before livestock.

Wouldn't trade it for any other hobby or material thing. Wife and kids both love the tank(s) as long as I do the maintenance and the wife is supportive enough to encourage spending on things that make that maintenance easier.

Goodness, I keep increasing the numbers above as I think about how much stuff I've actually bought.

Really?
Surely there are some things which you didn't regret

I'm 'new' still and I too bought everything new and some from China and the quality is very different.

For example, tank-wise, if you bought 2nd hand, if you were unlucky, it could fail right?

I bought a 2nd hand Phosban reactor.....its covered in white specs of.....what looks like paint. I still haven't got around to cleaning it yet and have zero idea how to clean it inside....cant fit my hand in.

They said they regret that they bought all new, not that they regret everything. I'm definitely on board with getting some things used or DIY. Retail tanks and stands can cost you up to a thousand for a decent sized tank. My used tank and DIY cherry stand is going to end up around $300 though, and I'll be much happier with how it looks than if I bought one from the store.

I feel like totaling up what we spend on the setup over time is a little silly though. Start up costs and upgrades might be different but adding up what you spend on your hobby over the years is like adding up how much you spend on your favorite snack or money you spend on your spouse. It will add up to a large number over a long period of time, but that's not the same as getting a lump sum equivalent. Do you ask a golfer how much money they spend on golfing total? You are going to spend your money one way or another, you just want to make sure you are getting the most enjoyment you can out of your disposable income.

hmm tops $20-30 a month you can ask my wife - I have keep her well informed on these cost. :)

:lolspin: My wife does not care what I spend on the tank or my other hobbies. Mrs. fishin is into gardening, that is another expensive hobby. I enjoy sitting on the deck looking at all the flower beds and shrubs, just as she likes to look at my tank.

Some things you just need to buy new though, i could of got the same sized tank i have now for less than £400 second hand, but it had an all wooden stand. I opted for a custom made steel frame and tank and spent over 5 times that amount new. Do i regret it? Not one bit. If you have the money and you get exactly what you want without having to compromise then that is more than worth it.

In this hobby about 11 years or so.
Spent about 17K or more so far. That's just a little bit less than the cost of my Honda Accord. So yeah, if I stop this hobby, I can use that money to upgrade my car to a nice and fancy Lexus and don't have to worry about nitrate, phosphate, stn, algae, cyano, water change, flood, dull colors on sps. I will be free from all those worries and enjoy driving a nice car around.

I regret buying everything new. I should of bought second hand and i would of saved crap load's. I must of spent close to £3000 on my 2 foot cube. It amount's up very fast.

I'd argue, if one sticks with the hobby, that there is actually no advantage to buying used. The cash flow is different, but long term costs are no better, often worse.

I'd argue, if one sticks with the hobby, that there is actually no advantage to buying used. The cash flow is different, but long term costs are no better, often worse.

What's wrong with getting a used skimmer then replacing the pump at some point? Or buying a used tank or stand? Some things wear out like pumps and motors or ballasts, but some things don't. Rock is another good example. You can buy it online or from a store and pay a lot more than you can find it for on craigslist, plus then you don't have to pay for shipping either. I'd rather put a little effort into some of these things and save hundreds than blindly believe that new is better.

I do agree that some things at better off not messing with, like lighting and pumps, but even then there are some benefits to buying used in some situations.

If you know exactly what you want, plan on keeping that same equipment until it fails, do not plan on upgrading, and expect there to be no changes in the technology to make things cheaper, better or more efficient, then yes I can see how you would think that buying new for longevity is more cost effective.

quote was originally meant for fishing but could adapt to reefing:

One of my biggest fears is that my wife will sell all of my aquarium supplies for what I told her I paid for them.

Back