how much you spent on this hobby??

What's wrong with getting a used skimmer then replacing the pump at some point? Or buying a used tank or stand? Some things wear out like pumps and motors or ballasts, but some things don't. Rock is another good example. You can buy it online or from a store and pay a lot more than you can find it for on craigslist, plus then you don't have to pay for shipping either. I'd rather put a little effort into some of these things and save hundreds than blindly believe that new is better.

I do agree that some things at better off not messing with, like lighting and pumps, but even then there are some benefits to buying used in some situations.

If you know exactly what you want, plan on keeping that same equipment until it fails, do not plan on upgrading, and expect there to be no changes in the technology to make things cheaper, better or more efficient, then yes I can see how you would think that buying new for longevity is more cost effective.

It really depends on how deep you think about stuff.

I bought used Radions and upgraded them, still cheaper than new lights. Bought a used tank for the first one, upgraded and bought a brand new tank so that it would last longer and have no scratches. You just have to really think hard about if it is something that can last a long time.

I bought a used Tunze ATO. Then the motor in the pump started dying and the power pack was going bad. I bought a new Tunze at that point. Had i just done that in the beginning i would have saved $100 bucks. Bought an old reefkeeper for a steal and that thing wont quit for a long time.

As to the original question: Ive spent in the neighborhood of 3,000 and have had a 20 gallon and now a 65 gallon with a 40b sump. Im having issues not just clicking buy on a few thousand worth of corals right now tho. :lol:

This is the last question you should ever ask yourself LOL

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Then ask yourself was it worth? Hopefully the answer is Yes, worth every penny.

My reason for getting into this hobby is memories of my childhood seeing these tanks in people's homes or business and spending hours sometimes discovering all the things in it. These memories inspired me to get SCUBA certified which was great. Now my goal is to inspire some children with my tank. To see the joy and curiosity as they try to look in all the nicks and crannies and find those hidden creatures. Who knows my time and money may inspire a kid to become a marine biologist that will figure out a way to bring back the dying reefs or create amazing artificial reefs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To quote my father-in-law you can't put a price on Recreation LOL being able to work so closely with coral and fish in an era where they are all in decline in their natural habitat is a pretty special experience

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

I have been in the hobby,off and on since 1972.I probably spent over $60,000,maybe more.

Sounds cheap...been in SW hobby since 1973... WELL over 6 figures (that's only about $200 a month, never mind an easy $25k on custom tanks and stands)

I'll bite as well. Not a single coral/fish/invert in my tank and i'm already tickling the $1500 mark. This is just on a single tank as well. I'm planning about $2-5k on livestock.

I don't have living expenses and i have a decent paying job, making the expenditure easy.

what sup lee sin, do u want to mushroom over the rice?

:lolspin: My wife does not care what I spend on the tank or my other hobbies. Mrs. fishin is into gardening, that is another expensive hobby. I enjoy sitting on the deck looking at all the flower beds and shrubs, just as she likes to look at my tank.

We both enjoy doing both..

in the early spring we are going to build a nice greenhouse in the back yard and start some seasonal hydroponics to give it a try. Maybe incorporate some fish keeping with it ..

I make the money my wife keeps track of it. I could not even tell you how much is in our Bank accounts..

I know whats in my business account thou. NOTHING. I give it all to Bonnie :love2:

I feel like this thread will be used against us, this is the fish worlds version of, "What's your moms maiden name? And what's your social security number". YOU WON'T TRICK ME!!

the reason I post this thread because I want to make sure that im not the only one who spend so much money on it, it makes me feel better. In case I'm on the wrong path, at least someone is with me:D

This weekend, I put my buy list together for my 66g. cube, all included about 2500.00. This does not include any live stock. This will be my forth tank. The first three I tried to buy used, had to cut corners, and ultimately learned it pays in spades to buy right the first time; plus, I think it increases the enjoyment factor-when things just work. It does seem so many of the things I wished we could do twenty years ago are a reality now, led lights, wave makers, apex controllers, and worth the money.

What's wrong with getting a used skimmer then replacing the pump at some point? Or buying a used tank or stand? Some things wear out like pumps and motors or ballasts, but some things don't. Rock is another good example. You can buy it online or from a store and pay a lot more than you can find it for on craigslist, plus then you don't have to pay for shipping either. I'd rather put a little effort into some of these things and save hundreds than blindly believe that new is better.

Did I say there was anything 'wrong' with buying used, no. Simply, at least I thought it was, that there is really no advantage to it. Can you find a 'great deal' on something? Sure you can, but I'd also suggest that most used gear is overpriced if one considers likely remaining useful life. First rule of used gear is that folks 'ask more for their used stuff than they be willing to pay for somebody else's'. If you're a transient in the hobby, by all means save your hundreds; but blindness works both ways :lol:

We both enjoy doing both..

in the early spring we are going to build a nice greenhouse in the back yard and start some seasonal hydroponics to give it a try. Maybe incorporate some fish keeping with it ..

I make the money my wife keeps track of it. I could not even tell you how much is in our Bank accounts..

I know whats in my business account thou. NOTHING. I give it all to Bonnie :love2:

I help out in the garden it usually entails digging. She does not like to use the little bucket loader/ backhoe we have. I don't know what is in the accounts as well.

The price of a brand new car.

The major thing that makes this hobby different than others is that one cannot take a break. One can take a break and cut spending on other hobbies when/if necessarily. You can't do so with reefing. Broken equipment must be replaced, water must be changed, food must be bought, supplements must be added. Even on vacation, you are not really on vacation, because you worry about the tank all the time. And, you pay hefty price for a professional to take care of it. This hobby enslaves you.

The budget for my first tank in 2006 was $1000, spent $3000

Wanted to go bigger and spent $10,000 on the second one with equipment, room/house modifications (in-wall)

I moved and wanted to go to a 300g acrylic but needed to knock out some walls, renovate the basement. By the time I upgraded my reactors, sump, lights, filtration, flow, tank, plumbing and of course livestock this latest project budgeted $20k ended up spending $32k.

So since 2006 I've spent close to $50,000.

And I am still not even close to being a good reefer :( I just love this ****.

For my 9gal nano, the grand total has been somewhere in the $800 range after about a year. I don't buy the most flashy corals, and I love inverts, which tend to be low-cost. No fish helps too. I think the power head I bought was $11. I cut corners where I can. Since I have such a small tank, I rarely need to replace supplies. In fact, in the last 3 months, the only thing I bought for the tank has been a tub of carbon. Nanos!

Back