How should I hang my ATI Sunpower

codydemmel4

So I finally have the tank moved and setup after a week of whole bunch of stuff. I have the coral and fish moved over too.

I now need to figure out how to hang this light. On my last setup the studs were perfectly above so it was easy and the ceiling was drywall. Well the new house is an old house and the ceiling is plaster and I can't find the studs with the stud finder.

Do you guys suggest I just dry pilot holes to find the studs and then just repatch the other holes or how would you suggest hanging this? IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need studs really, it's better sure but the supplied drywall anchors are just fine too. For those you would need a 5/8" spade bit.

D'oh sorry just read it was plaster :hammer:

While anchors and toggle bolts can have ok strength, I would not rely on either when it comes to an expensive fixture and electricity over water in a pricey tank, especially when it's plaster we are talking about.
I would find studs however that needs to happen, and agree getting up above would be nice if you have access.

+1. I used the same thing to hang mine.

While anchors and toggle bolts can have ok strength, I would not rely on either when it comes to an expensive fixture and electricity over water in a pricey tank, especially when it's plaster we are talking about.
I would find studs however that needs to happen, and agree getting up above would be nice if you have access.

Can you get above the ceiling? Then drill your holes where you want then reinforce there.

You don't need studs really, it's better sure but the supplied drywall anchors are just fine too. For those you would need a 5/8" spade bit.

D'oh sorry just read it was plaster :hammer:

Thanks everyone. for the people saying the anchors and bolts, are you sure drywall would hold that?

I am going to try to find studs first (doing this tomorrow) but if needed I could get access above but thats my bedroom and dont feel like drilling through the wood floors up there too

I'd trust drywall more than plaster when it comes to anchors, and I trust anchors on walls more than I do pulling straight down from ceilings, and while they may be rated for weight they will only be as strong as what it is they are attached to, so if the plaster is crumbly as it often is...would not be my choice.
Yeah, if it's a 2nd floor and not an attic crawl space I guess you're going to have to check for studs w/ a nail or drill bit and fill, and yeah, stud finders often give a false reading, especially w/ plaster.

If your drywall is sound, toggle bolts will way over support the light. Some of them are rated at 100lbs + apiece.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would just get a 1x4 the length of the tank, Paint it to closely match the color of your ceiling, then screw it to the studs running the length of the tank on the ceiling and mount your light to the 1x4.

I would just get a 1x4 the length of the tank, Paint it to closely match the color of your ceiling, then screw it to the studs running the length of the tank on the ceiling and mount your light to the 1x4.

This is another very good option but it still requires him to find studs which is why I didn't mention it earlier.

The supplied toggle bolts from ATI are pretty big, I'm sure the drywall would break before they did, and I'd also be surprised if the two of them couldn't easily hold 100 lbs. I unfortunately don't know about plaster though.

The 1x4 or similar is a good trick if studs do not line up where you want them so it sits exactly where you want, but same here, did not mention because you still need to hit studs.
If a toggle seats well into sound lathe(which is thin wood strips and chicken wire basically) then it could be ok, but I"m a contractor/carpenter, maybe's don't work for me, and for me it's too easy to find studs which are the most reliable of course, so I would not mess w/ anything less.

I live in a house with plaster ceilings and I would not trust it to hold anything. I would put a 2x4 mounted to the ceiling and then you maybe attach a beam matching your stand. I have seen several and it looks great.

awesome, thanks for the help everyone!

I found a trick last night to use a strong magnet (which obviously we have plenty for our fish stuff ahah) and you can find the nails in the studs. I was able to find the studs and I think they should be in a good place where I can mount them without using the 2x4, if not I will have to do that option.

Thanks again for the help!

I have plaster...everything, and don't trust it a bit. Drywall anchors have been useless and the gaps in the walls are too thin for toggle type anchors. The only kind that I've found to be useful are the Toggler Alligator. Part of the challenge with plaster is that there is lathe backing. This makes it difficult to avoid nicking the edge of a piece of lathe.

When I first moved in, I tried a couple of my old drywall type fasteners and they didn't work. I went to Lowes and bought literally one of each type of fastener to try and these are the only ones that work anywhere I put them. Part of my issue is that I have multiple layers in my walls. There are mixed combinations of old horsehair plaster, newer plaster, wood paneling and drywall.

I'm running Radions on an RMS instead of my 400 watt halide, and my ceilings are a notable factor in that choice. I already had my dining room ceiling collapse and don't want a repeat in my living room. Honestly, if ETM hadn't released the G4's, I was going to mount a 2x4 to the ceiling and trim it out nicely, then hang the halide from that.

Back