Drywall Ceiling Toggle bolt butterfly

Suji

Hello,

I am installing Radion RMS rail hanging kit and where the tank is, I cannot screw it into joists or studs, can’t move the tank.

Can I use these toggle bolt Anchor on ceiling drywall to hand 2 radions xr15 on rms rail which the total weight would be around 13-14 pounds.

Attachments

• IMG_5789.jpeg
    IMG_5789.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 6
Hello,

I am installing Radion RMS rail hanging kit and where the tank is, I cannot screw it into joists or studs, can’t move the tank.

Can I use these toggle bolt Anchor on ceiling drywall to hand 2 radions xr15 on rms rail which the total weight would be around 13-14 pounds.
I think no problem and likely could hold substantially more assuming proper installation of drywall and the anchor. I'm also assuming that is this type of anchor:

anchor.jpg

Its this type i attached, Im reading online where people lights came crashing into their tank from anchoring to their drywall ceiling
IMG_5789.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5789.jpeg
    IMG_5789.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 5
There are things you do that test how the universe feels about you. Hanging things from overhead drywall is one of them.
It might be fine. It might not.
It SHOULD work IF the drywall was screwed up CORRECTLY using enough screws and the CORRECT amount.....

No one can tell you for sure.

Are you feeling lucky? I know exactly what my luck is like so I don't tempt fate anymore.
I am not telling you don't do it, I am saying I wouldn't do it. I don't give the universe a chance to drop things on my head anymore.

I’m with them - I try not to tempt fate. Especially with expensive lighting and an even more expensive tank. Or another example just ask my 40” tv whose wall mount is anchored with 4 100lb anchors (cause you know LED flat screens weigh soo much).

If your assessment of the ceiling requires consultation with the universe, definitely don't do it.

If your assessment of the ceiling requires consultation with the universe, definitely don't do it.
What if I make a hole put a piece of wood in that hole, move it to the location where I wanted to put the anchor, and then just screw a screw into the drywall and straight to the wood?

What if I make a hole put a piece of wood in that hole, move it to the location where I wanted to put the anchor, and then just screw a screw into the drywall and straight to the wood?
It seems like if you could do that, you could do something more robust. Any chance you could provide a picture of the intended installation area?

It seems like if you could do that, you could do something more robust. Any chance you could provide a picture of the intended installation area?
If you have access to the attic, secure a 2x4 across the roof studs

A toggle bolt would be best for that but be sure to drill the smallest hole in the ceiling to fit the anchor. Don't make a hole with a screwdriver or the back of the sheetrock will break out making a very weak support. I worked as a construction electrician for almost 50 years and used them all the time.

A toggle bolt would be best for that but be sure to drill the smallest hole in the ceiling to fit the anchor. Don't make a hole with a screwdriver or the back of the sheetrock will break out making a very weak support. I worked as a construction electrician for almost 50 years and used them all the time.
I driller a 1/2 inch hole to fit a toggle bolt, is that ok

Maybe. It depends on the diameter of the anchor you are installing. A 1/2" hole would work for a 1/4" toggle bolt. If you use a smaller toggle the hole should be smaller. As long as you can push the anchor in with not to much play, it is good. The smaller the hole you can make to fit the thing through, the better. Drill slow so you don't break out the back of the sheetrock. :)

Maybe. It depends on the diameter of the anchor you are installing. A 1/2" hole would work for a 1/4" toggle bolt. If you use a smaller toggle the hole should be smaller. As long as you can push the anchor in with not to much play, it is good. The smaller the hole you can make to fit the thing through, the better. Drill slow so you don't break out the back of the sheetrock. :)
And that can hold 13 pounds from ceiling?

And that can hold 13 pounds from ceiling?
I have assumed from the beginning that you are going to use more than one of these bolts. They are rated way beyond what your are asking. I don't think anything beyond that can be promised considering you're the one that has to do the job correctly.

togglebolt.png

Back