How to clean a Tunze pump and what to do about a driver alarm.

thanks roger for the pumps. I got them today and hooked them up to my 7095. One of the pumps has a loud clicking coming from it. I am not sure what could be the cause. thanks chad

Chad, does it click when it is off during an Interval or when the foodtimer is pushed? If so this is the fish care function. Or does it click during a program when it is turning on?

the pumps are alternating back and fourth and all i hear is click-click..... click-click.. I recorded a video of it if you want me to email it to you i can

Last edited:
Yes, this is not unusual on the 6105 when you alternate between pumps, it is a normal issue, we are working on. It won't harm the pump, you can reduce it by sliding the 6065.792 disk up on the shaft about 1/8". You can eliminate it by using Pulse or Interval 2 so the pumps do not shut off. We expect to have a solution by March but a revision of the drive unit is required.

Hello Roger,
I am carlos from chile.
I have the bad problems of the clicking sound in my 4 pumps
In november`09 I was talk with tunze in germany and they send me the 6065.792.
I recibe it today.. but before install this disk, I want know if you find the correct solution,
or if this disk is the finally solution.
I want to use my pumps in alternative mode from 0-80%.
Best regards
Carlos

Yes, for the Stream 2 the real solution won't be available until late March, the new disks raised higher on the shaft should help, but there will be a new clamp with a rubber insert to absorb the vibration and noise.

Hi Roger
I got 6100.10 pump from local reefer about a month ago.
Today the alarm is on. I cleaned it, the pump is turn on for couple second and stop and the alarm is on. Anything else I can do ? Thanks.

Have you made sure the drive unit is clean per the first page of this thread? That the upper bearing is not stuck and the hole in the magnet is clean? Is the drive unit the new style or the older style?

Have you made sure the drive unit is clean per the first page of this thread? That the upper bearing is not stuck and the hole in the magnet is clean? Is the drive unit the new style or the older style?

Hi Roger,
I did, and now I do vinegar bath for it to make sure it clean.
I don't know which is old style or new style. I got it as Tunze 6100 and they come with 7240.26 and another come with 7240.27 (which I just realize the different driver model number now)

Yes, but the first page of this thread shows the old style 6100.600 and the new style 6100.700. The 6100.600 could have a broken brake shoe or mechanical problem which would cause this.

Hey Roger,
I've been experiencing some issues with my wavebox, it was sounding the alarm, go off and then come back on at irregular intervals? At first I thought something went into the pump because the impellar fin was chipped, so I replaced the impellar with a new one, and still have the on and off problem with the alarm?? The first impellar was a single piece and the replacement was multiple piece impellar. Is it the impellar or pump? Do I need to send it in, thanks!

It could be either one, especially if the drive assembly was changed without changing the upper bearing and bush bearing as these parts changed over the years and new/old mismatches tend to cause the pump to bind up.

It could be either one, especially if the drive assembly was changed without changing the upper bearing and bush bearing as these parts changed over the years and new/old mismatches tend to cause the pump to bind up.

So, when I replaced the impellar I didn't realize that there was the upper bushing and bush bearing stuck in the pump, might be that binding up the impellar, how do I get it out? It seems to be stuck? thanks

Rodger,

6000 old model-

I did all the cleanings You covered here... and when I turn the pump on it moves about 1/2 a rotation then jams.... when i try to move it manually (unplugged) in the shaft- it moves fine.. it feels like the magnetic field isn't rotating, and just holding one position.

ideas?

The bush bearing pries out with a screw driver at the notches, this is shown in the manual, the upper bearing is best removed with a hook tool, small needlenose pliers or a #12 3" screw driven into the hole in the middle and pulled up. If it is really stuck by calcium build up, I would pour some vinegar in the impeller well and let it sit over night to loosen the calcium.

Matt- it does sound like an electronic problem, I would suggest sending it in, if it is the motor this is no longer available so we do a discounted upgrade to the 6105 in this case.

Roger, We have the tunze 6212 and have done regular maintanence on it for 2 years. We started having problems with it beeping so replaced the impellar and bearings. We still have the beep and now are getting no wave. We can turn it by hand and it will run a couple of cycles and then stops and beeps again. What else can we try?

Typically this would mean the motor has failed if the pump still does not work with a properly installed drive unit, the only possible repair is to replace the motor.

So Roger,
I pulled out the impeller and bush bearing, cleaned everything out really well and am still having the off and on alarm and can get it to last longer than a few seconds on. It's on for 3-5 seconds, alarming and shutting off, then a few seconds later it will turn back on, and back and forth??... What is the issue now, could it still be the impeller? What's the proper impeller for a Tunze 6260.10? Thanks

Back