How to DIY an AC 70 fuge

Excellent DIY.....I wish it was easy to do on the 24G NC...you'd have to cut a massive hole in the back of the hood. I bookmarked this. Kudos. SH

Fantastic thread, wish one this easy to follow had been available when I made mine!
I'm using my AC70 fuge on a 14g and want quite a bit of flow, so I use an AC50 impeller. I initially tried the AC30, but found it wasn't quite enough - so glad I chose to mod the 70 rather than the 110, which only fits one size of impeller.

I actually just sold the AC300 fuge I modded. I did things differently though..

I used one end of the media basket as my barrier..I made a little extra room for a heater. I did the exact same thing with the grill in the front and the mini impeller.

all you have to do is buy the coralife mini aqualight. It fits perfectly over the Ac300. I kept the top on mine and cut a square out of the top..i then siliconed clear plexi for the light to shine through. the pics I have rean't that great, but they show my mod..it is a bit diferent then magnolias...doesn't require quite as much work..and you will have the top intact also..so no openings.

fuge:

DSC00470.jpg

Top:
DSC00471.jpg

Just buy a 6700k bulb and you are done..a similar alternative to <agnnolia's fuge, if you are looking to kep a closed off fuge.

I built mine and used an AC300 on my 29 gallon reef. I'm using 4" of Mineral Mud in it w/ a piece of LR also. I have a Palm PC light coming to me in the mail and as soon as I get that I will add some cheateo. Thanks for the thread...

man, the wife is gonna hate you! Think you got my brain rolling again! Just got a 2.5gal minibow and a ac20or30 would probably be just right ! lol. Thanks again. Keep up the AWSOME work! Shows true dedication.

Touch.

i was thinking if a small mangrove would fit in the fuge (without the top of course)...and would it be a good idea to help with nutrient export along with the cheato.....p.s. it will also be lighted by the 6500 15W PC bulb...enough?....it'll be about 4-5 inches from water line of the filter

Hey, this is an excellent thread, Adrienne! If/when I set up a nano, I'll be sure to follow these plans for a fuge. TIA!

David D'Amicantonio

A mangrove can get really tall and the roots need space to grow.I have used mangroves in the past and they are great for nutrient export.You would be surprized how fast they grow,especially the roots.Also mangroves need to be out of the water with only about 1" or 2" below water.

Hey Sugar Mama! My AC70 is on it's way and I can't wait to get this on my 5.5 gallon tank!

I've just read through all of this and from what I am gathering, all I need to go buy is a pc. of plexi (baffle) and that's it? (I already have the silicone) Other wise everything is there already, right?

I plan to use a clip on light.

Yep T, plexi from either Home Depot or Lowe's and they sell the scoring tool right in the same area. No table saw needed.

If you're planning on running a poly/carbon pad, I now use the bio-bags that are made for Whisper filters. Can't find the Millenium filters locally anymore.

Back