How to keep shrimp

RBU1

Moving on Up
I need some chemistry help.....I think...... I can't get a shrimp to live in my tanks. All other inverts are fine snails, brittle stars, hermits.......WHAT COULD IT BE???????? I have no idea what is going on. Any suggestions? Last time I sent my water to be tested the iodine came back a little low .02. I think Iodine levels are only real important when they molt. Shrimp only last a few days at most. All other parameters test good.
nitrates 0
calcium 420
alk 9 dkh
ph 8.1
salinity 1.025
SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oops, sorry, this one slipped by me.

I don't think iodine is the problem, and I don't know what might be causing your problem. How many shrimp have you added, total?

No problem,

I would say in the 75 I added 3 shrimp and in my sons 12 gallon nano I tried 2. The longest survivor in the 75 was right about a week. In the 75 after the shrimp was around for 3 day's I figured I was home free.........Then it disappeared. I am think that in the 75 this last shrimp might have been consumed by a green brittle star. The star has been removed but I am afraid to try another $32.00 shrimp.......I am not sure if I am just having bad luck with shrimp or something is up. Just don't understand why everything else in all my tanks is doing great.

My maroon clown finds them tasty. Sounds to me like you have a shrimp predator in your tank - can you list your current inhabitants?

Also doubt it's chemistry related.

I have a hitchhiker mantis which ate two of my shrimps. Now I keep it in my display like kind of a shrimp with no other invertebrates, just with fish :rolleyes:. But seriously, you have there some shrimp eater thing, no chemistry issue.

Well......I might agree with the predator thing if I was not finding the dead shrimp. The one fire shrimp that I thought was going to make it disappeared so that one might have been a predator. That is why I removed the green brittle star.

I will try another one in the tank upstairs (75) and see what happens....

Back