how to know whether sps have enough flow ?

If you go on Ecotech's website they have a calculator that will help you determine how much flow is ideal according to your tank dimensions and what you're growing. I have 2 mp40's on my 80 gallon cube and according to their website, I should only have them set for 30% power for an SPS tank. I started with 50% power and backed them off a little bit after reading that.

seems that mine is around 50% strength

ScreenShot2012-08-21at63512AM.png

I have 2xmp10's in my 42 gallon corner tank and that's not even overkill. There is no way to get too much flow, just some corals are not strong enough to hang if you ask me. Next time ythe flow in your tank knocks you over like a wave would then well talk.

Ha!

The ecotech site says I should be running my mp10 at 350 gph for SPS in my 10g AIO nano (8 gallon display). I'm running it at 100% reef crest at the moment. 75% more flow than they recommend :lmao:

I was told by a friend who spent a few years of his life diving reefs in the pacific that there is no such thing as too much flow. Too much velocity? Sure, but you can't have too much volume.

I was running 2xmp40s, and an mp10 100% reef crest in my 3x2x18. It's just as much about the amount of flow as flow location. I'd run as much as you can get away as long as you can point it in the right spots. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do on the new setup being a peninsula tank it's a little harder to place powerheads without them taking away from the overall look of the tank.

Back